Dark Memories

"(Y/N)?" His voice echoed in my head as I stood frozen, boiling with emotions, memories rushing back like a flood crashing into a damn I built to protect myself.

His hand grabbed the collar of my shirt tightly, a smirk showing through his eyes with his mouth covered as he pushed me to the ground. He took his fist and bashed it into anywhere he could strike. Anywhere else, he used the same damned switch blade Gene had given him, slicing it across my face. Across my legs, my arms. Everywhere and anywhere. There was so much built up anger behind his eye. "You're pretty useless, you know that right?" He kept beating me up. "You don't even bother to say anything or do anything even without the other three here anymore." He scoffed. "Come on, do something." He kicked me in the gut. "Make it more fun." He was grinning and I could feel it from the chills running down my spine as I tried to get away and he kicked the back of my head. "Again, useless. You're only move was to try and run away? Pathetic."

More and more memories continued to rush through my brain. "(Y/N)?" His voice rang through my hears again and then Aph's. "(Y/N)? Are you ok..? You two know each other?" She asked, never having known the story. "On Irene I wish I didn't." My hands were clenched at my sides, trembling as my legs moved on their own and put me in front of him. "You.." I inhaled deeply and backhanded him across the face. God did that feel good, "You bastard!" It's been years, don't be afraid of him, stop shaking.

"Woah!! (Y/N)!! Calm down-!!" Aph said shocked and separated me from him, but I pushed her off. "No Aph, I deserved that.." he muttered. Could she be friends with this asshole!? "You deserve a hell of a lot more than that." I grimaced as I glared at him. Don't be afraid of him, it's been years. Stop trembling so much. Don't show him you're still weak. "I'm cutting our time short Aph. I won't stay around if the guy who beat me to a pulp day in and out is still standing in the same place." I said, my nails digging into my palms. There was so many lent up emotions of fear and rage bubbling inside. "Zane...? Did you really do that?" Aph was in shock of everything happening and that Zane could do something like that.

"Aph I-" I didn't let him speak. "Don't be stupid, he'd say anything to protect a reputation." He was in the way, I wanted to leave and get out the door, but he'd be too close. It kept me struck in fear. "Zane wasn't the nicest in school, but he couldn-" I couldn't believe she was trying to defend him. "Well surprise Aph, he did!!" I hated every moment of this and being around him and the fact that Aph seemed to still support him somehow. "You know what, I'll just leave," I said, "pack up again and get as far away as I can from you." I forced my legs to move as I pushed him out of the way and ran. I ran back home as fast as I could.

They both looked at me in shock before I'd stormed out. "(Y/N)!" I could hear them yelling collectively at me to come back to stop, but I kept running. I bolted into my house and locked the door behind me. I pressed my back against the door, breathing heavily and clutching my chest, still shaking as I sunk down to the floor. "Is Aph friends with him?! Why else would he be at her house? Why why why why wh- the one friend I could trust is friends with Z a n e. I should've hit him more, but I'd be no better than he is.."

My thoughts were cut off by the doorbell buzzing and knicking on my door. "(Y/N)? Are you in there?" It was Aphmau. She must've followed to make sure I was okay. I looked through the side windows by the door and saw she brought him with. "Go away!!" I wouldn't open the door if he was going to stick around. No way I could face him again. I already felt like crying back at Aph's. "(Y/N) I know how everything just look, but Zane's good now-! Why would I be friends with him if he wasn't or if i didn't trust him? Please, open the door and let me talk to you." I wasn't convinced. Aph night trust him, but there was no taking back anything he'd ever said or done to me. "Why should I trust that?! After everything he's done? Not a chance in hell hes changed." I mumbled, shocked to hear Zane speak up. "(Y/N), you have all the reason to hate me-" "no shit-!" I interrupted, "but if Aph can still vouch for me after what you said, that should be worth something right?" I hated that he was partly right, but she still didn't know it all. I abruptly opened the door and had made sure to wipe my face to be safe. "You tell Aph everything you did and see if she still trusts you," I said, "if she can still say you've changed, I'll let you talk. Otherwise I'll pack up and leave as soon as I can." I warned. I didn't care about already having unpacked a bit, I wasn't going to live with the nightmare neighbor.

Zane's POV (didn't see that coming now did ya'?
I sighed and nodded hearing what she had to say. "I'll tell her. If she can still consider me a friend, that's proof I've changed right?" I wasn't looking for a friendship, just forgiveness. Aph knew that there was a heart somewhere in my body and I wasn't a complete asshole anymore. I just don't need this guilt. I never knew what happens to (Y/N) after senior year and seeing her in the neighborhood or at Aph's house was the last thing I expected.

"I'll talk with him (Y/N)," Aph said beside me, "you don't even have to be friends- but you're both good friends to me and I don't want to see either of you upset." She had a heart of gold, but it got in the way of her judgement. I really was a dick back in high school and even through college too. I was just too eager about being in the Shadow Knights back then, I didn't think twice when I really should've.

~Time skip~

I went back with Aph to her place after (Y/N) had agreed due to Aphmau's convincing of wanting us both to be happy or st least not feel guilty or scared. I had to explain everything to her. From the first day I was given that switch blade till we graduated and lost connection. "Zane.. you really did all that?" I could see the disappointment. "I did. You know how badly I wanted to get in with them, I was stupid and let impulse take over rather than think. I thought they were still watching even when they graduated that it became second nature. I should've thought what it would've been like for her to deal with." I sighed, wishing I knew better then. "I'm guessing you won't trust me anymore." I muttered but she shook her head. "We all know you were bit of an ass back in school, but you have changed Zane. You just need to let her see that. I can't have two of my best friends hate each other." It was a relief she still wanted to be my friend.

"What do I do then?" I asked, completely unsure. "Invite her over to my place again and we'll have her help with our cupcakes. You owe her this at least so don't get bummed she's being added in this time." Aphmau suggested, which wasn't an all bad idea, but she would never listen to me for an invite. "You invite her st least- she wouldn't give me the chance to speaking I tried." I could already tell. (Y/N) seemed to have changed too, she didn't cower and give up like she would back in high school, she spoke up and straight up bitch slapped me- I deserved it though. "Fine- I'll ask her to come over and you're going to be nice and show her you're better. I'll be there to help." Aph said in hopes to reassure me. "Now, does pinkie cake want tea?" She asked with a laugh to bring up the mood and off we went back to our normal schedule.

-------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note:
Alright- I changed a lot more in this chapter than most so far since I didn't want things to be so rushed and dramatic this time- I'm trying to make it a bit more realistic if I can and work their way into a friendship instead of jumping into it and other cliches like I did before when I first wrote this- I'll try to keep most of the same events in check, but until next time
I'll see ya around🤙🏻

Edited x2