Lunatics · Chap 046 · Almost meetings

46 · Almost meetings

THE COUPLE left the Jaguaro and calmly walked through the enormous parking lot of Suzano International Airport to reach the glassy main building.

“Your parents must be worried.”

“I live with my mother. The big nasty guy left more than a year ago…”

“Your mother, at least, must be worried, Helena.”

“We had a fight. She’s totally nonsense. My father discovered she had affairs and decided to go. Now she plays the Puritan over me, complaining about my lovers, calling me names… I did the same. It was ugly. She put me out, the bitch. And it was my birthday’s eve!”

They crossed the main entrance and Chico Manoel looked at her with a serious expression.

“If you’re coming with me, you should call her to say good-bye. You might never see her again.”

She smiled.

“Who’s this friend of yours? The one with the flashdisc, I mean.”

Passing in front of a bookstore, Chico Manoel pointed to the many newspapers displayed; there were pictures of Ibrahim aplenty.

“Wow!”

He took one of the papers and paid at the cashier while she read some of the articles about Ibrahim, the new millionaire.

“The actress’ adopted son?”

Chico Manoel signalled for her to shush and she lowered her tone.

“You’re friends with Elisangela Mussume’s son?”

“We met at a party. Long ago.”

“All these paparazzi are waiting for his return from the Pampas! That’s amazing!”

“Oh, c’mon! Don’t play this game!”

She smiled again.

“I loved her! She was a diva!”

“Great...”

“Tell me about that party. Tell me about Elisangela. Did you know her personally?”

“Easy, easy! A common friend took Ibrahim to an orgy at a professor’s flat. It was something about two or three years from now. The girl, this common friend, joined a group who was fucking by the pool. Ibrahim kept his distance but seemed amused, observing everybody with sharp eyes. He did’nt seem chocked. Not at all. He told me, afterwards, he’d lived with that kind of thing from his childhood.”

“Elisangela’s parties were awesome!”

“He didn’t want to have group sex then. I had been invited by a girl who was completely stoned fifteen minutes after our arrival. He helped me take her to one of the rooms and we kept talking the rest of the night.”

“Simply like that?”

“What did you expect? A love story? The three of us fucking till morning?”

He looked away and shot the question.

“Who was that guy, the one who was killed this afternoon?”

“He was nasty...”

“I’ll need more than that!”

“He deserved that, believe me.”

Chico Manoel saw the Feds and stopped. He looked for the main info panel and checked Ibrahim’s flight; two minutes to go: it was on time. The 323 from the Pampas was about to land. From where they were, Chico Manoel could see the whole glass wall that separated the lobby from the conveyor belt room.