Lunatics · Chap 019 · Bon jour

19 · Bon jour

MARCUS MONDRIAN was brushing his teeth when the communicator began to beep. He washed his mouth and pressed the machine answering button at the wall of his bathroom.

Maria’s face filled the screen. She smiled and waved her hand.

Bon jour, big brother!”

Marcus pressed the button to unlock the building front door.

Mon Dieu! Come up, quick!”

He dried his face, verifying his recent trimmed beard. The autotoast gave off the alarm, announcing his breakfast was ready. Still bare naked, he dashed to the kitchen and took the two slices of toasted bread from the machine and threw them over the dish which already contained a couple of sliced red cheese and a cold hard egg. He put the dish back into the autotoast to keep the food warm and went to his flat door to let Maria in.

“What are you doing here?!”

“Bad way of receiving your sister, Marcus. Maman would be sad...”

Marcus kissed Maria in the mouth.

Bon jour, sis. That’s it! Now spit it out!”

“That’s a good paste, you know?!”

Maria had become an attractive woman, her breasts were firm and her hips, ample. She was a beautiful creature hidden under heavy clothing to easily carry weapons and stolen goods.

Marcus was nervous. She should not be there. His career as a federal agent had been carefully built. Her presence was an unnecessary risk.

“You haven’t been answering my messages…”

No clandestine used legal IDCards, so her identity would not be known, but the visit of a clandestine was reason enough to make him lose all credibility.

Maria walked through the living and caressed the expensive clothes over the couch.

“I like it here. Somewhat old fashioned, although very comfortable. But what is this awful gear, Marcus! Couldn’t you feds be less obvious?”

Marcus took a deep breath and began putting on his clothes. Maria seemed calm. After her brother freed the couch, she jumped over it.

“Time’s short!”

She smiled, blinking.

“Still a solitaire player or have you found a partner? Some handsome lad? A girl from a good family?”

“Seeing a girl.”

“Name?”

“Satine.”

“Is it serious?”

“Maybe.”

“Pretty?”

“Not much.”

Merde, this is serious! What does she think of being the lover of a spy?”

“Maria... It’s been long since we last saw...”

“Two months and two days, precisely! And this is the shortest period since 2216, when you entered the damn 12 Academy.”

“It’s good to see you again. But it would be wiser if you said, once and for all, what you are here for and leave pronto. You being here is too dangerous!”

Maria smirked, raised her legs and let the momentum pull her up. She faced her brother, serious.

“Why haven’t I got these wonderful eyes too?”