Chapter 1

"Dude, when will you get over yourself?" One of my friends exclaim as he stared at my drawings in disbelief.

"Felix," I sighed, running my paint stained fingers through my hair. "You don't understand.."

"Understand what?!" He snaps, blue eyes flashing. "Your childish obsession with some magical creature that doesn't exist?! You're thirteen Mark! Thirteen! You need to let this go!"

"I don't need some twelve year old telling me what to do," I mutter, dipping my index finger in the dark, muddy type fixture. Drawing another line for feathers, Felix sighs, irritated with my stubborn behavior.

"My birthday is in a couple of days, Mark! I won't be twelve for much longer." Realizing that I was ignoring him, he stands up and brushes his blue cloth-robe off. "Whatever Mark. Sit here and believe that the stupid beast exists. I'm going to go hang out with Xavior and Jsypa." And with that said, he left.

I sigh, staring down at the unfinished artwork of the beast that I had drawn on the thin, rough stone block. Of course we had a little bit of parchment paper but stone block was easier for me to draw on. Tears threatened to fall but they didn't.

Felix hasn't always been this mean to me. In fact, him and I use to be joined at the hip great friends. He even loved the legend that the elder would tell us and believed it as well. That was, until I somehow someway embarrassed him at his last birthday party.

There was a group of kids, mostly mladší děti, or younger kids. So I didn't think it would've been a huge problem for me to tell the younger ones the legend that has been passed down for many generations. Then again, this is Felix we are talking about.

So in the middle of my "story telling", Felix walked over, crumbling his nose in disgust. "Are you seriously telling them that pathetic excuse of a story?"

"Yes, what's wrong with it?" I ask, a little shocked at the attitude in his voice.

"Well, don't." He mutters, avoiding answering the question.

"Why?"

"Just don't."

"But why? I wanna hear rest of story!" One of the younger ones exclaimed. I don't know if that was what set Felix off or not, but he was sure pissed.

"Because it gives you false hope about something that isn't even freaking real!" He growls. "Mark, just go home before you ruin the rest of my birthday!"

I sigh at the bitter memory as I rinse my fingers off in the Krásná river. It was nothing to get upset over. In my heart, I knew Felix wasn't always this mean to me. He only says hurtful things when I draw out this magnificent creature that comes from a child's story.

But no matter what he says to me, I still believed the elder's legend. I just wish everyone else did too. Maybe that would've prevented what's fixing to happen.