Thirty Nine

(Ps sorry I know it's a bit late for a Christmas song but this one is golden)

It has been, to you, an incredibly long five days of journeying about the Underground. On the way back to Snowdin, the king and queen offered a night's stay at their castle, and you stayed at Alphys's lab one more time.

It's now the afternoon, and you're walking through the Waterfall with Papyrus.

"(Y/N)... UM, DID YOU HAVE A GOOD TIME?" he asks you uneasily.

You nod. "It was wonderful, Papyrus. I had the best time!" you say, exhilarated as you recall all of the past events of your trip. "To be honest with you, Papyrus, I was a little worried before I came down... I mean, why were you sealed here in the first place?... But now I know I was just kidding myself. This place is better than the human world by far."

Papyrus looks surprised. "Y-YOU REALLY THINK SO?" he asks softly.

You nod again, about to vocally assure him of your sincerity.

"TH-THAT'S WONDERFUL (Y/N)! I... WAS JUST THINKING THE SAME THING!" he interrupts. "THIS IS GOOD! WE BOTH HAVE THE SAME MINDSET!"

You laugh. "That's for sure!"

Papyrus blushes and glances at the river. It's beginning to get colder, as you seem to be nearing Snowdin.

"C'MON (Y/N), LET'S WALK NEXT TO THE RIVER," Papyrus suggests.

"Is there something you want to talk about?" you inquire curiously.

Papyrus gives you that same uneasy smile that Asriel wore before he'd spoken to you. "N-NO (Y/N), I DON'T THINK SO..." he mumbles.

You smile reassuringly at your friend. "Please, Papyrus, if there's something you wanna talk about, I'm perfectly fine with discussing it." you tell him.

Papyrus inhales deeply for a minute, holds his breath as we walks for a time, and lets it out just as you start to think he's going to burst. "OKAY, (Y/N)..."

Slightly eager to help him with his trouble, you ask if he wants to sit down. He refuses, gently, and asks that you continue to walk next to him.

"(Y/N), WE HAVE BEEN FRIENDS FOR A VERY LONG TIME." he begins. "AND IN ALL THIS TIME, I HAVEN'T TOLD YOU ABOUT WHAT I REALLY THINK OF YOU."

Your gut clenches like you've just seen Sans's creepy eye again. A smile slowly comes over your face in order to reassure yourself, but it holds no joy.

You force yourself to answer.

"...Yes? Go on, Papyrus."

"WHEN I FIRST MET THE HUMAN THAT SAVED US TWO YEARS AGO, THEY WERE SO FRIENDLY THAT I VOLUNTEERED TO TAKE THEM ON A DATE TO INCREASE OUR FRIENDSHIP." he tells you. "BUT LOOKING BACK, (Y/N)... I AM NOT SURE I KNEW WHAT THE WORD 'DATE' MEANT THEN."

"What are you getting at?" you ask slowly.

"DATING AND BEING FRIENDS ARE TWO DIFFERENT KINDS OF LOVE," Papyrus says, glancing back at you. His smile is easier, all of a sudden. "I UNDERSTAND THAT NOW."

"That's great," you say, beginning to get flustered. You still don't understand what he's talking about. "But Papyrus, I don't understand..."

Papyrus stops walking. He bends over so he's eye level with you. "(Y/N)," he says breathily, "I WANT TO INCREASE OUR GROWING LOVE FOR GOOD. WILL YOU... WILL
YOU GO OUT ON A DATE? WITH ME?"

You breathe in sharply. "Oh my gosh, Papyrus!" Tears form in your eyes. "I thought you'd never ask! Oh, I'm so happy now!"

Papyrus hugs you tightly, lifting your feet from the ground. "(Y/N), I AM GLAD! I WAS HONESTLY WORRIED ABOUT WHAT YOU'D SAY, BUT SANS WAS RIGHT! WE BELONG TOGETHER!"

The two of you share a laugh, and Papyrus places you on the ground again. "LET'S KEEP GOING, (Y/N)." he says happily. He begins to walk again. You glance behind you to grab your suitcase, but Papyrus abruptly grabs the sleeve of your shirt, knocking you off balance.

To your horror, the next few moments happen in slow motion.

Papyrus slips on ice that has accumulated by the side of the fast-moving river in the growing chilliness. He gets a hold on your shirt as he falls, but pushes you away so you don't fall the same way as him.

Your new boyfriend hits his head on the ice and hits the river with a loud splash.

"PAPYRUS!!" you scream. You pick yourself up off the ground and run after him. The current is quickly taking him away. His limbs waver crazily in the air as he tries to swim.

By some miracle, he manages to get a handle on himself even after that stunning head blow. He musters up his strength and swims toward where you're waiting at the bank of the river.

You clutch his hand as he comes closer, as he fumbles to grasp at the icy riverbank, and the pull of the current nearly dislocates your shoulder and drags you into its depths as well. You bite your lip and pull Papyrus with all of your strength.

Reaching for your back pocket within all the confusion and commotion, you dial Sans's phone and pray that he picks up.

"sans's pizza shop, how may I help you?"

"Sans!" you shriek. "Papyrus just fell in the river! You gotta help us, we're in trouble!"

A buzzing meets your ears. "S-Sans?" you ask into the transmitter, but there's no answer.

Sans has disappeared.

You wobble on the ice, unbalanced. A moment later, you slip and fall in, too.

The icy water greets you at first with a stinging slap to the face and cool darkness. A hand takes hold of you around your arm, pulling you back up to the surface.

As you are greeted by the cold air surrounding the river, you take a huge breath. Papyrus holds you close to his chest, breathing hard. He's holding on to the riverbank with everything he has.

He looks tired.

Suddenly, you hear footsteps. A familiar shade of blue light encases the two of you, and as it lethargically lifts your bodies from the river, you pass out.

*

Okay, hi guys! Sorry this chapter was a little late and came out at 4:40 am... But I haven't thanked you in a while!!

THANK YOU SOO DANG MUCH FOR 6.04 K READS!!!!!

And thank you for commenting and voting on these chapters (that aren't even that good)!! You guys make me laugh in those comment strings all the time, and sometimes that's hard to come across.

The next chapter will be my last.

*Bows formally* Arigatō, my friends! Thank you for reading!!
~TheShortSensei