Twenty Eight

What were you going to say?

Part of you wanted to shout heck yes!, but the other side of you wanted to whisper no.

What were you going to say to the hottest star in the Underground? But what about Papyrus?

"Umm...." is the only thing that comes out of your mouth.

"I'll take that as a yes, Darling!" Mettaton says happily. "Allow me to escort you downstairs."

As Mettaton leads you away, you glance back at your table, where Papyrus is still sitting. He looks stunned, as if someone had just slapped him.

Your heart begins to hurt as the expression sinks into your memory.

"I'm sorry....." you mumble under your breath, too low for Mettaton to hear you.

As you step down, the guests on the bottom floor ooh and aah at your dress and Mettaton's handsomeness. You reluctantly admit to yourself that he does actually look quite dashing in the shirt he's wearing.

He did this on purpose, so what he wore would match your dress. He did the same with Papyrus, but Papyrus obviously hasn't noticed yet.

As you and Mettaton step into the dance floor, he takes your hand and twirls you around, your dress fluttering in a purple arc around your thighs.

The band starts to play a slow lovers song, and Mettaton puts a hand to your waist and takes your right hand in his left. You place your left hand on his sturdy shoulder.

To the lulling beat of the music, you and Mettaton sway quietly, the only couple dotting the floor. The other guests from both floors of the restaurant watch the two of you intently. You can detect admiration and jealousy in their faces, darts especially shot from the eyes of the women.

As the song continues, Mettaton flashes you a smile.

"(Y/n), darling, are you having a good time?" he asks you. "You are quite good at dancing. You act like a natural."

You nod, speechless for a second. "Thank you, Mettaton. And yes, thank you too for taking us to dinner tonight. I can't wait for the cooking show tomorrow."

"Oh, speaking of which," Mettaton responds, inspecting your eyes, "I was thinking, (Y/n), and I came to the conclusion that a cooking show is not enough for a beautiful human girl such as yourself."

You feel your face begin to heat up.

"No, no." Mettaton says, his voice lowering itself to a dangerous whisper. "I was thinking.... Somewhere more along the lines of a romance. Would that suit you, (Y/n)? I knew you'd just love it, darling!"

"U-umm... I'm not so sure Papyrus would like that idea...." you mumble. "He seemed pretty excited about the cooking show. M-maybe we could stick with that?"

Mettaton serenely shakes his head.
He leans closer to your face, the sharp tips of his black hair brushing your ear. His voice is sweet and soft as he whispers to you.

"You wouldn't tell Papyrus about it, would you? We want it to be a surprise, don't we, (Y/n)?"

"I suppose so," you blurt out, your cheeks madly reddening. You are suddenly rather excited to get back to the table.

Mettaton smiles. "I thought you'd agree with me," he says, retracting back to a normal posture. "You'll see, (Y/n). This will be a lot of fun."

All at once, the song ends. You withdraw from Mettaton, about to escape to the staircase and back to Papyrus, but you bump into someone as soon as you someone off of the dance floor.

"Oh- sir, I'm sorry, I-" you start to say, but when you look up, the person you bumped into has his skeletal hand stretched out to you in waiting.

"(Y/N), WILL- MAY I HAVE A DANCE WITH YOU?" Papyrus asks softly.

You smile, relieved. "Of course, Papyrus."

You sidle past Mettaton, who heads upstairs without another word. The band chooses another song, this time something bouncy and upbeat. Other couples come into the floor beside you and Papyrus, and start dancing together.

Papyrus seems awkward at first, as if he doesn't know what to do. You take his hands in yours, and spin him around.

Laughing, the two of you spin until you're dizzy. The world crazily whirls around you. Papyrus looks like he's having the same experience. He smiles brightly at you, obviously having as much fun as you are.

"Papyrus," you say as you dance beside each other, "are you having a good time?"

He nods happily. "TODAY HAS BEEN A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE FOR ME, (Y/N)."

"Good," you respond with an equal amount of happiness. "Do you think Mettaton is being a good host?"

Papyrus hesitates for a millisecond. "YES, (Y/N), I AM HAVING A LOT OF FUN. METTATON IS A VERY GOOD HOST." he says, his smile barely faltering.

"Papy, what's wrong?" you inquire softly after a minute.

"NOTHING, (Y/N)." Papyrus answers instantly. "DID YOU TRY MY DINNER? I THOUGHT IT WAS VERY FLAVORFUL. WE SHOULD GET DESSERT, DON'T YOU THINK SO?"

"Why not?" you respond, your smile returning. Papyrus grins down at you.

You couldn't help but see the hurt behind that smile.

Your eyes flicker toward the tables, and Mettaton's now darkened figure catches your attention.

His expression is smug and knowing, like he's absolutely certain he got under your skin.

Shivers lace up your spine and down your arms. You can't help but feel his eyes watching your every move.

*