Chapter V - The Return to Black

Start from the beginning

She nudged Ryker with her shoulder and climbed down the small incline to the house.

“Where are we exactly?” he asked as his voice broke from fear. His eyes too were appraising the land around them.

“A few miles from the city,” she said as she continued walking. She felt Ryker’s bright hazel eyes piercing through her skull. She turned her head and looked at him over her shoulder. “This was my childhood home.”

Ryker stopped and took a second look at the shell of the building.  He scratched at the back of neck as his brow rose and his noise squinched. “Doesn’t look like anyone’s home,” the young man said trying to lighten the mood, but he instantly regretted it when he saw Emri’s stride still. “Gods, sorry, Em. I dunno why I said that. It was a misplaced joke,” he said as he stuffed his hands into his pockets and rocked back and forth on the balls of his feet.

“Think nothing of it. I know you meant no harm.”

“So what’s the plan?”

“No plan. At least not really. My first thought was to come here, gather some clothing, so we’d fit in more, and then walk the short distance to the city.”

“Do you really think there will be supplies in there for us? It looks like it’s been raided more than a few times.”

“Oh, I know it has. The bastards didn’t even allow my family’s bodies to cool before they broke down the door and took everything. Luckily, we had several hiding places. Living in the dark realm, you learned to keep things hidden,” she grunted the last word as she stepped over a section of fallen ceiling while bracing herself against the wall. It was like walking in woods littered with spring spear traps. They would have to tread lightly.

“Come on. Watch your step, though. There’s a concealed lower floor, and you don’t want to fall through a weak spot.”

Ryker, who was stepping over the mound of debris, stopped with his right foot in mid-air at Emri’s statement. His stilled in place, not moving an inch as his eyes shot down to the floor. Tucking his lips in-between his teeth, he took a large, hefty breath and presumed to follow Emri’s lead.    

“How'd you manage that?” he asked as he ducked to miss a low hanging wooden beam.

“A small sinkhole formed about a year after Danny was born. It wasn’t large enough to compromise the integrity of the house, but enough where we could make use of it. We pulled up sections of the plank floor, tossed down a chair to get in and out, and made it a place to keep anything worthwhile that we had safe. It was mostly just sentimental things … junk to most. I remember I whittled a small doll from a dead branch I had found. Ma was none too happy with me because I had several nicks and was bleeding everywhere. But, stuff like that, you know, is what we saved,” Emri said as she crouched down and tapped on several wood floor planks at the back of the house.

They were at the back of the house in what Ryker assumed was the bedroom. The evidence of the soiled straw and broken pieces of bed posts suggested it. It was clear the house had been used numerous times for shelter.

Emri finally hit a hollow plank and pulled a small knife from her pocket and wedged it between the two planks, lifting one ever-so-slightly with the tip of the blade. After enough planks were removed, both Emri and Ryker descended down a make-shift set of steps.

The bottom of the hole was damp and smelt of mud, mold and mildew, but there were several crates and what looked to be an old dresser off in the corner. The sinkhole was large enough that they could remain standing, just crouching forward the slightest.    

“Here, this was my brothers,” Emri spoke as she removed some clothing from the dresser. The first item was a pair of raggedy breeches. “He was tall for his age, so they should fit you.”