Part 22

He liked this room, it emanated entitlement.

The bed was large, the hangings were of blood-red damask, each corner post was topped with feathered plumes dyed a similar hue. The woodwork ebony edged with gilt.

That was a real bed for a man with real status.

It stood opposite the great bay windows that graced the back of the house. He had decided that this view would be his. Not for its scenic beauty, or the sight of the magnificence circle of mighty oaks that held the eye; no, this room was the biggest and the most well-appointed, luxuriously equipped. A man who slept here was master.

And he would once more be 'The Master', his new empire could, nay would, be run from this room.

It suited him well.

The old woman may have to go, of course, having her around could cause problems, she was an unnecessary complication. Though the 'love' of her grandson had meant her manipulation had been easily achieved. The stupidity of that emotion showed itself in the way she gave in to his juvenile behaviour, arbitrarily forgiving his indiscretions.

But she could yet be useful.

The child and its mother were a threat not so simply dealt with, bringing with them, as they did, his former servant. Causing their deaths would seem a sensible resolution, but their awareness of him was troublesome. They were watchful, gulling them would be a complex matter. No mere sleight of hand would suffice.

He pondered his selection of stratagems, humming quietly to himself.

###

The certainty of his actions lifted Adam's stride. There had been times in the past when he misplaced his confidence in the power of others, self-righteousness, hatred, even fear had directed him, giving him an entirely misplaced assurance. His judgement had then floundered on his lack of true purpose. But this was different, only once before had he felt so completely at one with his conscience, and that had led to his death.

This was his true rebirth. His new life, not borrowed or assumed, had begun today. The man whose body he had appropriated was no longer manifest as an inner voice. The knowledge and experience of that 'self' now all formed part of the newly configured person that was Adam Bourne.

He was whole. Reclaiming his love, and giving her the life she should have. Fulfilling his affections needs; rebuilding what had been perverted and then destroyed by that miserable worm, his former master. 

This was his conscious purpose.   

The fortune he was now possessed of was not considerable, as far as he could calculate, but then he was no pauper either. It seemed that Sergeant Bourne was not an impecunious man. He owned title to a goodly house of no mean cost, and now released from service to the Crown, he had monies owed. He would, of course, find an occupation that suited his abilities and taste. A man needs must employ himself fruitfully, but it would not be just for his supper he toiled.

Slowing as he approached the huge glass and chrome doors of the hospital, a smile quirked at his lips. First, he would attend to his heart's ease. To that end, he must find his beloved little bird. He would waste no more time on courteousness, they had waited too long for gallantry and propriety to have meaning. Time was now a precious commodity; he would not fritter it away.

They must come together again as man and wife; re-forge their loving alliance against the pestering troll. Then find means to banish him forever from their world.

###

Letty shrugged off the white coat and tossed it in the scrubs bin. She was gearing up to talk to Rob, there were arrangements to be made for family access visits with Sophie. Handling Rob was not really the issue she had assumed it would be. she was no longer the silly, impressionable girl he'd lied to and deserted.

Not that she was that entirely sure if she was Letty or Arlette most of the time.

Memories of her other life slipped between her own like simple passing impressions. Strangely familiar recipes, snatches of songs, images of places, all found curiously comfortable homes in her understanding. Gradually all mismatched feelings were falling into their proper places. She was beginning to understand that sad history.

"Your boy tries his cock in other cunny tonight, mistress." A gravel chuckle dripped derision. "He bid me...keep to your comfort while he is... otherwise occupied."

Standing in the busy hospital corridor Letty could almost feel his hot breath at her cheek. The words hung about her brain, clear and menacing, the thought that this creature would touch her made bile rise. And the man she believed loved her had left her in the care of the odious, creeping serpent. Oh, that knowledge left her desolate.

But that evil was dead, now nothing but a stinking shadow.

Except the fear was still there, the repulsive thought of his greedy hands on her.

That fear could still make her shrink in disgust, make the panic rise in her, fill her with dread.

###

"You OK cariad? You're ever so pale lookin'." Sue put her hand on her friend's arm as she spoke. Letty jumped at the touch. "Jesus girl, you're bloody scarin' me here."

Letty jerked back to the now, a fleeting look of uncertainty in her eyes, but she covered the anxiety with a laugh. "Sorry, I was miles away."

"They bin pagin' you for the last twenty minutes. You gal, 'ave a visitor." Sue did a very unsubtle wink and grinned at her friend. "He's in the second-floor staff lounge."

"Oh, bloody, shitting hell!"

"You are tryin' me somat awful. What's the problem now?" Sue had Letty cornered; she wanted an explanation.

"It's too complicated." Letty sounded like a truculent teenager. "I can't deal with my finals, him, Rob, and the move!" She threw up her hands in exasperation, she wanted Sue to understand but had no idea how to explain. "He wants...too much."

"You done it, you bloody slept with 'im!" Senior staff nurse Sue did a fairly discrete little happy dance.

"If we'd slept there wouldn't be a problem."

"Oh, hello there..." Sue looked up over Letty's shoulder.

"I grew impatient. My apologies ladies."

Letty spun around at the low, warm tone and polite words.

Adam stood towering over them, a smile in his eyes, a curve at his lips.

Neither of them was conscious of Sue's departure.

Hungry eyes met and would not part. Nothing that surrounded them existed, just the hunger.

Without consideration of the passing world, he cupped her cheek in his broad hand, thumb caressing the fullness.

Reason fled and Letty kissed the heel of his palm that rested by her lips.

"I burned for your touch... Bore the irksome parting solely with thoughts of this moment." He laughed softly.

Letty drew her head back, forcing herself into reality. But Adam had other ideas; he drew her up and kissed her gently about the eyes, the cheeks, the lips. The soft, tracing of contours he had conjured in dreams.

"Come with me, we'll find somewhere..." He looked about them and breathed tenderly, "...private."