Part 21

Alicia Locke stood at the window of her drawing-room and studied the rise and fall of the sculpted parkland that surrounded Locke Manor. Two villages and a hamlet had been 'removed' to achieve the uncluttered vista so prized by the discriminating eyes of her husband's predecessors. She sighed, turning away from the reminder that characterised such meaningless uses of power.

All she had ever wanted was a family, no money or power could give her that. All fate had allowed her was a grandson she loved, but most certainly was not proud of.

And now a great-granddaughter as well, but thanks to Roberts duplicity, that relationship could easily be derailed before it began. The mother could simply refuse to include her in the access, walk away with the child.

Perhaps true power really lay with those who had the ability to walk away. The villagers had been forced to build new homes out of the offending sight of their 'betters'. But the coming of the railways meant those new villages prospered, even as the Locke fortunes plummeted. Overextended loans and bad investments left only the house and park intact. Not till her husband's time had the family retrieved a measure of its former glory.

And in the end, what did the Lockes have to show for their pride and arrogance?

Robert, a child, and some money.

The sound of a high-powered car drew her attention to the wide tree-lined drive.

How might the next generation of this worthy family turn out she wondered?

###

"Well, of course, it's a bit cold at the moment, but I'll get Thomas the gardener to have a look. He'll have it fixed and running in no time. If not, well we can get new stuff installed, Granny won't mind." Rob shrugged when Letty shivered and hugged herself.

"It's nice...but..." She looked about her; there were places where her meagre furnishings would actually look quite nice. It was cute like it should be made of gingerbread. The 'Big House' was far enough away for her not to be able to see it. That suited her. Truthfully, one night at her mother's had convinced her that living there was out of the question.

Upstairs Sophie danced on the wooden floors, loving the noise she could make with no neighbours to disturb.

This was all too easy.

Rob lounged back in the door frame, his head to one side, considering his next move. "Of course there are other ways to..." In the small space, it was simply a matter of leaning forward; he was close enough to slide an arm around her waist. Next, his mouth was nuzzling at her neck.

Letty sprang away, almost colliding with the newel post. "Don't...You know that's not part of the deal!"She wiped at her throat.

"Oh, come on princess, you know I'm sorry about all the other stuff. " He complained, flicking a glance at the stairs. "And she is..." He chuckled and shook his head. "Everything I could wish for." He actually managed to make it sound almost sincere. Used that soft contrived voice, sigh in just the right place. "What would be so awful about us..." He moved to hold her again. "Being...like a family..."

"There is no 'us' Rob." She grabbed her bag from the stairs. "Soso, come down now, we're going for tea," she called.

"OK, OK. I'll back off." He swore softly as Sophie trotted down the stairs. "I'm sorry, Let, don't..."

"Oh, don't panic, we'll move in. It's perfect." Letty felt the anger at his fumbled pass lower to a simmer. She was in control. "But you, you only come here when invited. You see Sophie only when I'm here." Taking her daughter's hand she turned to the door. "And you never try that again."