Part 13

'Letty, I thought I'd catch you.' Rob nudged closed the door of his dark grey BMW convertible and advanced toward her.

"What do you want; I thought I'd made my feelings clear?" Visibly annoyed at his appearance in the hospital car park, Letty strode away from her little beat up red Metro; just wishing the dependable old car was at least a couple of years younger.

"By walking out on me? Nah, that was pique, a hissy fit, that's all." He easily matched her stride, easily reached the lifts before she did, and with equal ease stood in front of the call buttons. "I think we need to think more about Sophie and less about our petty squabbles."

"And you need a reality check. There was nothing petty about your behaviour. It was..."

He leant down, saying softly "I-think-we-should-get...reacquainted, maybe?" He said the words catching her hand, lifting it to his mouth as if to kiss her fingers.  

"Piss off!" She snatched her hand away.  "You really believe that's it, a bit of smarm and I'll fall at your feet? You're five years too late!" Pushing past him, fury tingling in every bone, she took the stairs.

###

Walking was surely easier than this, 'twas not a skill.

'Shit, it's just walking!'

"OK, Adam, standing is good. Just take your time, wait till your head says you're stable, right?" Sam, the OT was big, his size alone inspired confidence. If you fell, this bloke could have you back on your feet in a heartbeat. "We need to work on stretching and strengthening those muscles."

Adam held on to the parallel bars with a vice-like grip. This was his fourth session, but only the second time he'd actually managed to stand and stay up.

Time, 'tis all that's needed.

'For fuck's sake, I came back from the dead, walking should be a piece of piss!'

He lurched forward, face a frozen mask of concentration.

"Careful now, take it easy." Sam was calmly cautiously with his patient.

Adam straightened, pulling his shoulders back, reaching his full height. Muscles tightened, joints braced, locking into place, the fluid in his inner ear found its proper level.

He stepped forward.

'Control, it's all about control.'

This he knew well. To hold your mount steady before battle, grip hard the nerve as you await the foe's first charge. All required dominance, the mastery of will over body, this he could accomplish.

"That's brilliant, very good." Sam grinned. "That is...yes, really amazing!"

Then Adam let go of the bars.

The OT's look turned to concern. "Just take your time..."

Leaning back, rolling his neck, Adam twisted his spine with care. "I need a sword." He growled low as unused ligaments and tendons protested at their sudden employment.

"Pardon...A what?" Sam frowned.

"I need a ..." A smile quirked the corner of his mouth and he looked down. He call to mind the pull and bunch of muscles as he swung his weapon high above his head, then the downward slice with all his weight behind it. The thought of the pure physical release of it, filled him with macabre joy.

"A swim, I would...like to swim."

"Good Idea, we can fit that in the next session. I'll organise it."

###

From the doorway, Letty watched as Sergeant Bourne sat cautiously back in his wheelchair. His back was to her, the movements looked smoother than she'd expected.