Part 5

Sitting before the computer screen the Watcher tried to concentrate on making the contrivance come to life. He knew there were Shadows who could do such things, move objects; make the electrical toys of the living operate with no power and so on. He had tried before, but with no success. As far as he was aware he had no such capability was his. He knew his old lord had the means to touch minds with dark thoughts. His former paymaster had not changed; the man's amusement was always best served by the suffering of others.

Once more he looked deep at the darkened screen. He had thought the cast of it black, but now he saw a fathomless green expanse.

Three high-pitched chimes announced the Hospital's home page on the monitor.

He sat back, alarmed. Then looked for someone to notice his triumph. But the busy staff just went about their various occupations, ignoring his achievement.

Sulkily he moved off, away to see if he could find something of more interest.

###

Letty emptied the two backpacks, piling medical texts on nursery picture books, topping the stack with their empty lunch boxes. It seemed to her to be the sum of her life, the constant balance of work, study and parenthood.

"Soso, where are your shoes?" She looked at the tiny, regulation black school shoes; it still troubled her that the nursery insisted on a formal uniform and homework for a four-year-old!

Sophie wandered into the small kitchen, she grinned and pointed gleefully. "There they are!" As if it was part of the 'find the shoe game'.

"And where should they be?" Letty tried to look stern.

'They should beeee...' The small form jumped up happily, 'on my feet!'

"No, not indoors. They should be...in the...?"

Sophie frowned, it cleared, "Cupboard!" More delight.

"Then put them away baby." She had no idea how this had happened to her. It was as if she had given up freedom and peace of mind, and in the wink of an eye, found the greatest joy her heart could know.

With a precision Letty had only ever seen in an operating theatre, Soso delicately picked up one shoe between forefinger and thumb and carried it from the room. Seconds later she returned for the other shoe. It was treated with the same meticulousness.

"OK, snack, then homework, then park."

This announcement was greeted with tinkling giggles and the clapping of small hands. "I like the park; can we sit on the roundabout?" The child pulled herself onto the kitchen chair and sat, expectantly.

###

The scaffolder's moved like dancers across the narrow planks, swinging elegantly from level to level as they erected the metal skeleton around the old warehouse. The watcher was comfortable in such places. He found the surroundings and tone much like that of castle life. The purposeful went at their tasks brisk and efficient; the slackers had their bellies to guide them, constant in their attempts to avoid work. But all, when the need came, knew their trades and practised them with effectiveness.

He had come to admire the skills of the masons, the carpenters and the ironmasters. In his life, he had used those skills, but not acknowledged their artistry or science of them. He had thought such men no more than peasants, valued them to a point, but if lost another would do just as well.

He winced at the memory of ordering a carpenter's hand hacked off for some infraction of his old lord's ruthless decrees.

"Yea, I wouldn't mind a bit 'o that!" One of the shirkers called out, leering.

The watcher followed the man's look, across the street a young woman and a child walked hand in hand. The child chattering, the mother smiling, answering intermittently.

"Nice bit o'...Fuck it!" The hot tea from the mug he held cascaded over his groin. "Shit, how...that's f'in' 'ot!"

The watcher moved away, a contemptuous sneer at his lips, not even noticing his movement caused the scald.

###

The park was run down, broken glass, condoms and other debris littered one corner as if swept there in a half-hearted effort to clear it. Once it had been a showpiece, all bright colours and safety mats. Now rust and civic indifference claimed the children's space.

Nevertheless, at this time of the day, when the sun shone, it was a place of excitement and adventure.

Children's laughter, squeals and animated babble, all warmed the very air. He stood, arms folded across his chest and drank in that warmth.

Sophie smiled at him, he smiled back.

"Big man mummy, big man's here." She tugged at her mother's tee shirt. Letty looked up, a horrible thought crossed her mind. What if Rob decided to take things further...decide to insert himself into their life? What if he were following them?

A flicker of fear caught her, but she could see no one untoward.

And then...there it was, the shiver, not fear this time, not even apprehension, more an expectation of something recognised, but not seen.

He felt it too, the acknowledgement. Looking about him to confirm no other cause, he pushed himself forward till he stood over the mother and child.

A slither of scent, or perhaps not scent...mayhap a memory of something... "Arlette...Hiya!" One of the mothers called to her, waved. Letty turned...

Seriously confused, she raised her hand to wave back, but still, she felt...what?

Safe, she felt safe. A warm certainty enveloped her. Looking up it was as if the sun shone on just her and her child.

Arlette.

The Watcher looked into the wide dark gold eyes and knew.

His little brown bird had found him.