Third Wheel

Mat's POV

I walk out of the shower, immediately being hit by the scent of fresh basil and seasoning. Must be Dani and Caelyn cooking. I quickly slip on a shirt and sweatpants before heading down to the kitchen. I silently walk behind the two girls and wrap my arms around Dani's waist. She squeals and spins around. I greet her with a kiss and smile. "You smell nice." she mumbles in my neck. We break apart to the sound of Cae chopping loudly on the chopping board. Dani and I glare at her. "You guys are so cute, it makes me sick." she groans. "You're just jealous." I joke. She glares at me and lightly shoves me. "I hate seeing you single." Dani says and I agree with her. Cae rolls her eyes. "I don't need a man." she jokes. "I'm sure you'll find someone. You and Dyl are wheeling. Don't deny it." I tease. "Whatever." she mumbles. "Oh, by the way, Phil says to stop r-bombing his snaps." she adds and I laugh. Dani and Cae go back to cooking. "You girls need help?" I ask. They shake their heads. "Don't come near the food. You're going to make a mess." Cae says. I sit on the stool behind the counter and snap a pic of the girls and send it to the boys with the caption "Girls cooking for me tonight.;)". Dyl sends replies with a snap of his face with the caption "Say hi to the girls for me." "Dyl says hi." I tell them. "Babe, can you set the table please." I answer with a yes and grab some cups, cutlery and mats.

Caelyn's POV

"I'm surprised. This actually tastes good and you guys didn't burn it. You guys should cook more often." Mat says. "I know." Dani says, planting a kiss on Mat's cheek. "I love you." he mumbles. "I know. I love you too." she replies. "I'm still here." I say plainly. "Sorry you're single." Mat shrugs and I glare. My phone goes off, notifying that I have a message. I check to see who it is.

DYL: Hey, what are you guys up to?

CAE: I hate third wheeling. SAVE ME!

I put my phone away and help Dani and Mat clear the table. My phone buzzes in my pocket so I take it out and see that I have a message from Dylan.

DYL: I can pick you up and we can hang out out my place?

"Cae! We're going to watch a movie. You in?" I look up from my phone. "Um, actually, Dyl is going to pick me up." Mat smirks. "And what are you two going to be doing?" he raises an eyebrow. "He said we could just hang out." I shrug typing a response to Dylan. "He'll be here soon." Dani walks in the room with a bowl of popcorn. "Dyl is gonna pick Cae up and bring her home." Mat tells Dani. Dani looks at me with a grin. "I'm only leaving because I hate being the third wheel." I say. "Sure." Mat mutters under his breath.

Fifteen minutes later the door bell rings. "Dylan's here! I'll get it!" Mat yells excitedly. I grab my bag from Dani's room and run to the door. "Get me away from these two!" I shout jumping into Dylan's arms. Luckily he catches me. "Wow, prince charming to the rescue." Dani grins. "Stay safe kids!" Mat yells as he closes the door behind us. "Thanks." I tell Dylan. "No problem. I wan't busy anyways." he smiles. He leads me to his car and we head to his house.

"Want something to drink?" I shake my head. "So what did you cook for Mat?" I follow Dylan into his room. "Grilled chicken with rice and some roasted veggies." Dylan pats the spot next to him on the bed, and I crawl next to him. "What do you want to watch." he asks scrolling through netflix. "Friends?" I ask. He presses play and leans back into the pillows. "Do you want me to get some snacks?" I shake my head. "Okay, I didn't want to walk all the way down there anyway." He says and I laugh. He pulls me close into his chest and I can feel his heart beat. As close as Dylan and I are, I only really see us as friends. I mean sometimes I look at him as more than a friend but I heard about his situation with his girlfriend or ex, I don't even know. Phil told me it was complicated.

It was now 10:30pm and Dylan had already passed out. My phone buzzed on the side table and I pick it up seeing I had a call from my mom. I slip out of Dylan's grip and tip toe downstairs to the living room to answer the phone. I answer the phone as I sit on the couch. "Hey mom." I say. "How are you doing honey?" she says from the other line. "I'm doing well. How about you guys?" "We are busy but it is manageable. We miss you lots." I can hear her smile through the phone. "When will you guys be back?" I ask. "Just in time for your birthday. And your father and I have a surprise for you too." she says making me smile. "Thanks mom. Say hi to dad for me. I was also wondering if I could invite some friends over for an early birthday celebration?" I ask hoping she says yes. "That sounds fine to me as long as you take good care of the house." "Alright mom. Thanks so much." I reply. "I have to go now. I will call you later. Love you and take care." she says. "Bye mom, love you." I end the call. "When's your birthday?" I jump at the voice. I turn around and Ryan greets me. "Don't do that! You scared the shit out of me!" I shout, causing him to laugh. "It's on Tuesday but I was thinking of having some friends over on the Monday because I start classes on Tuesday." I say. "Am I invited?" he asks. I shake my head. "Sorry bud, not this one, This one is just going to be a couple of my friends in Toronto. I was thinking of doing one with all of us maybe on the Friday." he pouts. "I see, i'm not that special." he jokes making me laugh. "Why are you here anyways?" "Dyl picked me up from Dani's because I didn't want to third wheel all night." I shrug. "Where is he?" "He's passed out in his room." I smile.