Chapter One

11 years later

Bright light streamed into Elissa Salvaterre's room, giving her a headache as she opened her eyes. "Hey Elli baby wake up" Elide crooned into her daughter's ear. Elissa moaned and rolled over onto her side; her inky hair a stark contrast to the white sheets. Elide promptly curled up in bed with her 16 year old daughter and started kissing her on the cheek, "If you don't get out of bed Elissa Marion Salvaterre, I will personally call on Dad to get in here and you will find yourself running laps around the castle before you can say Hellas." Elissa sighed and slowly sat up. Her mother's petite figure loomed over her and Elide smiled. Elissa shook her head. It never ceased to amaze Elissa how beautiful her mother was. Elide's black hair fell down her back in a straight shimmering waterfall and her eyes were onyx and big. Elissa had inherited her mother's dark hair but her's was wavy and extremely thick. Elissa's eyes were a dark blue. So blue they almost looked black but just a shade off. Her skin was ivory toned and she was extremely thin with little to no curves. Elissa sometimes wished she was blessed with a chest like her mother's but she remained flat chested like a pubescent boy. A tall figure came bustling into the room. "Miss Elissa your father requests you in the great hall." Calia, Elissa's handmaiden, was not only her servant but also her best and only friend. It always hurt Elide to see that her only child couldn't get along with Mia Galathynius or any of the "saving the world gang's" children. The truth was that Mia had inherited her mother's energy and father's tact. Mia did everything at high speed and never accommodated to anyone else. Elissa was much more calm and sure than Mia. If Mia was a thunderstorm, Elissa was a light snowy day. Natalie Havilliard was always with Isobel Westfall, best friends like their fathers before them. The only other companion was Sorscha Havilliard but she was so anti social, even more so than Elissa. Then there was Alec. Elissa let out an involuntary sigh. Calia raised her eyebrows but continued braiding her hair. Alec had been Elissa's crush for as long as she could remember. Alec was everything Elissa wanted in a man. Handsome, smart, patient, loyal, funny, and charming. He always had a big smile on his face and never joined in when Mia laughed at Elissa or Sorscha. Alec just watched and scolded his sister. The truth was Alec could have any girl in the kingdom. Elissa was just some teenage girl with a silly crush. But it never hurt to dream.. Elissa wondered and fingered the soft material of her nightgown. Calia sat down the brush and took a deep breath in. "Miss Elissa I was wondering what dress you would like to wear today?" Elissa paused and turned around. "Dress?" she asked "Do we have company?". Calia eyes sparkled and she reached into the wardrobe. She emerged with a long tight sky blue dress with little diamonds embedded in the silk. "Your beloved Master Galathynius may be coming today" Calia said with a grin. Elissa blanched. Alec Galathynius. She reached for the dress and slipped it on her, Calia grabbed a pair of silver earing and fastened them onto Elissa. She began applying a slight bit of metallic makeup to make her look more visually stunning. Calia twirled Elissa's hair and let it fall in long spirals down her back. She was so nervous and scared. Elissa caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and gasped. She looked elegant and regal. She looked beautiful. Calia smiled at her handiwork and practically pushed Elissa out the door. "Go meet your prince" she called laughing. Elissa waved a hand in reply and barely containing her excitement strolled down to the great hall.