Chapter Two

Aelin Ashryver Whitethorn Galathynius always took Elissa's breath away. She oozed confidence and look positively radiant even in the midst of battle. Well maybe not battle since Elissa had never been on a battlefield before to witness Aelin in action. It was a hard blow to her father to learn that his only child was not warrior material. Just like his mother Alec also took Elissa's breath away. Elissa rushed into the great hall and stopped suddenly in the midsts of Alec and Mia. Mia nodded at Elissa but continued causally sharpening her knives like it was no big deal. Alec rushed forward and gave Elissa a friendly hug. She felt her heart flutter and hoped that Alec couldn't feel it. "My my miss Elissa you've grown up" Alec said teasingly and kicked Mia in the shins. Mia looked upwards and rolled her eyes at her brother. "Yes Elissa you look wonderful and gorgeous" Mia monotoned and proceeded to sharpen her knives with even more flourish. Elissa blushed and look down. "How have you guys been?" she murmured, suddenly embarrassed. Alec sighed and stared downwards. "Things have been calm" he started "I've began learning about royal duties and I'm going on a diplomatic voyage to Ellywe soon". Elissa politely smiled. She had never been outside of Terrasen and her wanderlust had grown strong and fierce. "Natalie and I have been good" Alec added. Elissa heart skipped a beat. "Natalie Havilliard?" she tentatively asked. Alec nodded. "We've been dating for about a month. Things are going splendidly". Elissa's heart sank and she forced a smile. "Wow umm that's great." Mia snorted loudly. Both Alec and Elissa whipped their heads around. "Yes dear sister" Alec asked sarcastically. Mia shook her head. "Elissa doesn't seem to enthused at the idea of you and Natalie together" she remarked snidely. Elissa blushed a scarlet red and began to speak when Alec burst in. " Nehemia stop making trouble, Elissa has been more than polite and you're being a brat." Mia shook her head once more and began to make her way down to the dining hall at the gong signaling breakfast was being served. Elissa felt her composure crumbling and she blinked away tears. Alec must have noticed since he caught Elissa's hand and pulled her aside. "Hey Liss don't pay attention to Mia. She's a world class pain in the ass." Elissa sniffled and laughed. Alec brushed away a stray tear rolling down her face and gave a beautiful grin "C'mon sunshine let's go get some grub."