“I understand your concern, but I want to talk to her too.” Erin insisted. “And I’m not exactly helpless Ethan.”

His lips tightened in disapproval but he said nothing more, just opened the door and got out. Tense, despite the bravado she’d just exhibited, Erin watched as Ethan made his way up the cobbled path towards the front porch. At the front door, he hesitated and glanced back at her, though she couldn’t read his expression then turned back and pressed the doorbell

As the chimes echoed through the house, Erin sucked in her breath in anticipation, her white knuckled grip tightening on the edges of the plush leather seat.

“Please let her be home.” She whispered, curiosity eating away at her with every passing second. The chimes died down, but there still was no answer from within the house. Ethan waited for two minutes before ringing the bell again, then he came down the porch and circled towards the side of the house, disappearing from sight, much to Erin’s discomfort.

Seconds turned into minutes, in which Erin grew steadily agitated as Ethan failed to reappear. Her brain conjured up several scenes… all which ended in her picturing Ethan lying face down in the dirt, hurt and bleeding from an unexpected assault while she sat here in this damned car, doing nothing.

More minutes passed and still, Ethan did not return, and by this time, her nerves were shot to high heaven.

“Screw this.” Erin muttered, yanking open the door. The warmth of the midday sun hit her, at odds with the cool interior of the car, but Erin paid no notice as she hurried past the porch, taking the same path she’d seen Ethan disappear through minutes before. She followed the path until she came to a dwarf gate that led into what appeared to be a garden at the back of the house. As she neared, she could hear Ethan speaking to someone, his voice clearly carrying in the quiet.

“Mrs. Moreland, I’m not here to harass anybody.” Ethan was saying as Erin caught sight of him, standing by the backdoor talking to a nervous looking elderly woman in soiled overalls, clutching a pair of garden shears. ‘I just want to know if your daughter is home.”

Mrs. Moreland shook her head, the action freeing strands of silver hair from underneath the wide straw hat perched atop her head.

“I already told you,” she replied in a voice tense with disapproval. “I don’t know who you are, but you’re trespassing and I will call…”

She caught sight of Erin as she approached and trailed off, recognition flickering in her eyes. She clutched the shears tighter and her lips tightened even further. “You need to leave…now please.”

Erin came to stand next to Ethan, who shot her a scolding look, but she ignored him, her gaze fixed on the old woman who had partially turned towards the door.

“Wait!” Erin pleaded, taking a step towards Mrs. Moreland.

The woman paused, an uncertain look in her eyes as she turned back to Erin. “What?”

“You know me.” The words weren’t a question, more like a confirmation of facts. Erin had seen that flash of recognition and though she didn’t know this woman…it sure as hell looked as though the woman knew her. “I saw how you looked at me just now, and I think, you know who I am.”

‘I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Mrs. Moreland snapped, though the denial seemed weak. “Look, you’re going to have to get out or I’ll call nine one one...”

“Is Lilian Putney your daughter?” Erin cut in, struggling to hold onto her temper. Mrs. Moreland knew something but wasn’t being cooperative and it was frustrating to no end. “Where is she? How do you know who I am?”