Chapter 2

Chapter 2

It was all he could do to keep his legs moving.

For two days, Sonic ran. He didn't stop, even for a break. He was fearful...Fearful that any pause of his legs could cause him to run back to the Mystic Ruins, back to Tails, putting him in danger. So he kept running.

By the second day, Sonic could hardly feel his legs, and what he could feel felt like pudding. But still, he kept running as long as he could, and by the third day, he could no longer lift his legs. In the middle of some god forsaken rain forest, Sonic collapsed, falling unconscious before even striking the ground.

xxx

Tails awoke with a start to a loud knocking at the door, his heart beating frantically from the surprise. For a moment, he remained motionless on the couch, unable to feel his arm and tails. Then, the knocking sounded again, and Tails groaned, attempting to get up. But his arm must have been asleep, because he couldn't lift it, couldn't support himself to stand.

"...Sonic, could you get th-" And he stopped short as the previous days events came rushing back, like being suddenly stuck with a hangover upon awaking. He looked down at his arm, hanging off the couch, and saw the metal glinting in the faint moonlight pouring through the window. He cringed gently, moving it the little ways he could, examining it in the dim light.

Then the pounding came again, much louder, followed by a frustrated shout.

Tails took a deep breath and positioned his real arm beneath him, attempting to lift the metal one to help. It worked a little; he managed to work the metal one to the edge of the couch, grasping it with his strong fingers. He lifted himself slowly, sweat breaking out against his brow. After a couple seconds, Tails was sitting on the couch, panting heavily.

The pounding sounded again. "Coming!" Tails shouted hoarsely, now grabbing the arm of the couch to help himself to his feet. His metal tails beneath him were heavy, and it took almost all his strength to lift himself to standing position. Once on his feet, Tails leaned against the arm of the couch, panting heavily.

Now he dared to take a step forward, trying to even the unnatural weight of the metal appendages with the rest of his weight. It actually worked a little, as Tails was able to take slow steps forward, the effort of just staying upright draining. He leaned against the wall as he reached for the doorway, feel sweat soaking his skin through his fur. He grasped the door with his real hand, pulling it open slowly.

To his surprise, Knuckles leaped into the house, his violet eyes frustrated and impatient as he looked around the house. His expression changed to confusion when he didn't see anyone in front of the door. Then, he looked to his right, seeing Tails leaning against the wall for support, his breathing irregular and his eyes half closed.

Still, the kitsune forced a smile. "Hey, Knuckles," he greeted hoarsely, lifting his arm tiredly to wave.

For a moment, Knuckles stared in shock at Tails, taking in his metal appendages. The shocked silence lasted for several seconds, Knuckles staring wide-eyed, horrified, at the change of the kitsune.

"Tails..." he breath, finally meeting the kitsunes eyes. To his surprise, Tails saw the flicker of concern showing in his eyes. Tails lost his smile, still struggled to not fall over. He must've looked a site.

"Robotnik," the kitsune breathed quietly, the name sending shockwaves of anger and hate and sadness through his small body. "Robotnik happened."

Suddenly, Tails felt his legs give away beneath him, and he fell to the floor fast, striking it hard. He didn't bother to try and get up; he had no strenght left to try again. He felt Knuckles approach, the echidna's strong arms picking the kitsune up. Tails suddenly found himself in the echidna's arms, and felt Knuckles gasp as the sudden, surprising weight. Knuckles carried Tails to the couch, sitting him up gently.