Chapter 1

Just Hate Me

Chapter 1

With a start, Sonic the Hedgehog awoke with beads of sweat rolling down his face. His breaths came in short gasps, his green eyes wide as they stared straight ahead at nothing. He could feel his heart thumping in his chest, feel his blood pressure skyrocketing. He sat there a minute, and they all slowly, slowly settled back to normal.

Sitting in the bed, Sonic dropped his head into his hands, closing his eyes tightly shut and gritting his teeth together hard. His head pounded painfully, causing him to cringe gently with each beat of his heart.

He could still hear it...he could still hear the screams...

Grunting quietly, Sonic tightened his hold on his head, squeezing his eyes closer together. The pain never seemed to go away, and the image was still there every time he closed his eyes. And the screams...the horrible screams...

Sonic lifted his head slowly from his hands, shaking it gently. As his arms fell to rest on his knees, he opened his eyes slowly, staring at his bare feet as he rubbed them against the carpet subconsciously. Instinctively, his eyes traveled to the bed across the room, landing on the limp figure that lie there, his small body rising and falling slowly as he slept. Sonic stared at him a moment, his green eyes haunted and guilty. The figure shifted gently in the bed, and the sunlight that streamed through the windows caught the metal of his arms, reflecting back at the ceiling. Sonic winched, as if the reflecting of the light was a blow to the stomach.

He needed to leave, to get away...to keep the sleeping figure safe.

Sonic stood from the bed, jerking his eyes away from the opposite bed.

He couldn't believe he was still here. After all he had put the poor kitsune through, he needed to leave. Right now, all he cared about was the kitsunes safety. Nothing else mattered.

Sonic walked through the hallway, muttering beneath his breath. He paced around the living room a minute, angry tears beginning to fall from his eyes and slide down his face. He was torn in half; one half wanted him to stay, telling him that the kitsune needed him...needed him to survive. The other half demanded that he leave, that the kitsune would be safer without him, would survive alone...

Sonic muttered again, chuckling darkly at himself before cursing himself.

"...Sonic?"

"Help me!"

Sonic whipped around at the sound of his name, his green eyes wide with surprise. He looked like he was on the verge of insanity, his blue fur ruffled and unkempt, his green eyes wide and bloodshot, the pupils near slits. The wide eyes landed on the figure standing in the hallway, the sun catching once more on the metal of his arm.

Immediately, upon looking at Miles 'Tails' Prower, cringing as he walked forward, Sonic felt shock waves of guilt throughout his body.

The small twin-tailed fox stepped forward from the hallway, his eyes squinting as he struggled to walk, his body still so fragile, so weak. His orange fur was dull and unkempt, and behind him, his metal tails dragged the ground, the fox unable to hold them up as he once was. His real arm was holding to the wall as he stumbled forward, helping him to keep his balance, while the artificial metal one hung at his side, almost useless.

The half-robot, half-fox child stopped a few feet in front of Sonic, and he looked up at him with his pale blue eyes. Immediately, as if on instinct, Sonic stepped away, nearly falling to the ground when his knees felt weak.

"Sonic..." the kitsune said, then cringed slightly as he shifted, his breathing irregular. "H-help me..."

"Oh, God! No!"