Chapter 3 (For You) Part 2

Start from the beginning

"I'm so happy for you, Elliot. I can't believe one of my besties is getting married! Have you thought of any wedding ideas yet?"

"Kyle wants to wait a little while until the big day, but he didn't say I couldn't start planning. I've pinned a few things on Pinterest of course, because I live on there, but I haven't made any real decisions yet. I'm going to call Johanna to tell her the news and then maybe we can celebrate at our favorite bar tonight. Maybe throw some ideas around?"

"Sounds great, El. I'll see you tonight."

Elliot hangs up and the thought of seeing him and the ring tonight makes my smile grow. I can't believe Elliot is getting married. He and Kyle have been together since their junior year of high school, and have endured so much together.

"Hey, you ready?" Derek asks from the doorway. He leans against the frame with his arms crossed over his chest.

"Almost." I respond, taking out a pair of shorts and loose top and slipping them on over my swimsuit. "I just got off the phone with Elliot, and he told me he's getting married. Can you believe that? I mean, they've been together for six years now. I'm surprised the question wasn't popped a while ago. We're going out tonight to celebrate. Want to come?" The smile disappears from his face as he reaches up to rub the back of his neck.

"I'd love to, but..." He trails off as he avoids eye contact with me.

"But what?" I ask, my curiosity rising.

"I only just met Elliot. It's great and all that he's getting married, but maybe he should be around his friends. I wouldn't really be able to share the joy with you guys. It'd just be a downer."

"Oh, okay. Well if you change your mind, just let me know. Anyway, let's get going. It's already noon."

*Derek*

            I've been out of prison for barely 72 hours and already I'm lying to Arabella and worried Gavin's men will show up to hurt her. How did that guy find me in the park this morning and how did find where I live? Gavin has his men watching me and I have no way to recognize any of them. They could very well be here at the beach.

            "Derek." Arabella says, waving her hand in front of my face. I look at her and my chest swells at the sight of her smile. "I know it's been a while since you've seen a beach, but I think you'd be able to enjoy it more if we get out of the car."

            She climbs out of the car and opens the back door to get our things. I climb out of the car and do a quick scan of the beach. It's crowded with multiple games of volleyball in session, tanners stretched out as they soak up the sun, and heads bobbing in the ocean as people enjoy the cool water. No one looks suspicious, but that doesn't mean we're safe from Gavin here.

            "Let's go." Arabella takes my hand and leads me down to the beach. "Where should we set up?"

            "Anywhere is fine with me." I reply as I examine every face we pass.

            "Alright then." She stops pulling and let's my hand go. She tosses one of the beach towels to me before spreading her own on the sand. I spread mine beside hers and sit. "Ugh, the water is so pretty. Are you coming in with me?" She slips off her shorts and shirt and folds them, placing them neatly on her towel.

            Like always, my eyes travel to the scar on her shoulder where a bullet once entered. A grim reminder of the life I've dragged her into.

            "Are you okay?" Arabella asks, her face a mask of concern. "You've been acting a little weird since we got here."

            "I'm fine." I flash her a reassuring smile.

            "Really? If something is bothering you, you know you can tell me."

            "I know I can." I wrap my arm around her waist and pull her close, placing a kiss on top her head. "But I'm okay, really." If I keep worry about Gavin's men, I'll ruin our day together. I have to focus on her and enjoy this day without parents or eccentric best friends around to interrupt our time together. This day is supposed to be for us only. "I'll race you to the water." I say with a smile. "Loser has to cook and wash the dishes tonight."

            Without warning I take off towards the ocean, laughing at the sound of Arabella yelling insults behind me. I barely make it into the water when Arabella jumps on my back, slowing me down. Her arms wrap around my neck and her legs around my waist. The water reaches my waist and I stop

            "Gotcha." She says with a giggle before placing a kiss on my cheek. I stop, the water now reaching my stomach. She hops down and I turn to face her, wrapping my arm around her waist. "You cheated."

            "No, you gave me a head start." I disagree.

            "How?"

            "I told you I'd race you to the water and what the consequence is for the loser. You didn't start running so obviously, you gave me a head start." I shrug.

            "I wasn't ready. You're supposed to count to three."

            "There's no rule for that." I argue, enjoying our small argument. "I think you're just a sore loser."

"Well, you know what I think." She smiles up at me.

"What do you think?"

She pushes me and I suck in a breath as I fall backwards, the water submerging me. I resurface and brush my hair out of my face. Arabella hugs her stomach as she laughs.

"You should have seen the look on your face." She says breathlessly.

"Nice one." I say, swiping water from my face. I get up and she wraps her arms around my neck as she meets her lips with mine.

"I love you." She says as she pulls away.

"I love you too." I place a kiss on her forehead. "But now I'm obligated to get you back for that." I easily pick her up and she lets out a short scream as I toss her into the water. I laugh as she resurfaces, a look of shock on her face. "Now I see why it's so funny." She brushes her hair and water from her face as she lets out a light laugh.

"Okay, we're even." She says, giving me a breathtaking smile.

I'm still not sure how I was able to get a girl like her to fall in love with me. I don't deserve her, not even the slightest bit. But I'll do anything to keep her happy, and hold on to her for as long as I possibly can.

***************************************************************************************

Hi guys! I know it's been forever since I've last updated. Hopefully this is good enough until I'm able to update next. Thank you so much for your patience. Don't forget to tell me what you think.

Picture of Derek