Chapter 19

Greyson POV

I stood in the kitchen, preparing dinner and anxiously awaited Mercedes' return home. She had texted me when she left Jessica's house but she was running pretty late. Abruptly, my cell phone pierced the silence, and a wave of unease washed over me as I saw that the call was from Kayla, Mercedes' mother.

I answer the phone. "Hello?"

"Greyson?" Kayla's voice trembled with panic. "It's Mercedes. I need you to come to the hospital."

Those words hit me like a ton of bricks. I didn't waste a second questioning her. I dropped my phone, on the kitchen floor, snatched my keys, and bolted out of the house. My mind raced with worst-case scenarios, despite my desperate attempts to push them away. Did she go into early labor? Was she injured? What about our son?

I drove to the hospital in a blur, ignoring any speed limits or traffic laws. I couldn't care less if a police officer attempted to pull me over. All that mattered was knowing that Mercedes and our baby were safe. Tears streamed down my face, and my hands trembled uncontrollably. It was the first time I found myself praying, despite my lack of belief in a higher power. I prayed to whatever force may be listening, pleading for the well-being of Mercedes and Bentley.

I prayed fervently that I wouldn't lose either of them. Just the thought of losing them sent a surge of panic coursing through my veins. When I finally parked my car, I sprinted into the hospital, paying no mind to the concerned glances and worried whispers around me. My sole focus was finding Kayla in the waiting room.

Desperation etched into my voice, I asked, "Where is she? What happened?"

Kayla's tears flowed freely as she struggled to compose herself. "She was in a car accident. I don't have many details. They might have to deliver the baby prematurely. Mercedes is unresponsive. And I can't get ahold of Brandon."

My heart ached for Kayla. She was usually a pillar of strength, but now she crumbled before me. Without hesitation, I pulled her into a tight embrace, resting my chin on top of her head.

"Brandon will come when he sees your calls," I reassured her, my voice barely above a whisper. That was all I was able to say. A car accident? The severity of the situation weighed heavily on my mind. I couldn't bring myself to ask about the well-being of our baby if he were to be delivered so early. Premature babies were a foreign domain for me. Every fiber of my being trembled as Kayla sobbed into my shoulder, our shared fear and uncertainty blending in that moment.

With a valiant effort, she pulled away from me, her hands hastily wiping away the stream of tears from her cheeks. She took a shaky breath, attempting to regain some front of her composure. Just then, a doctor approached us, his face solemn and professional.

"Mercedes is stable," he began, his voice clinical. "She's unconscious; she has a slight fracture on her right rib and a severe concussion. The baby's heart rate is a bit faster than normal, but he seems to be fine. Our main concern right now is ensuring that Mercedes wakes up and her brain doesn't start swelling."

As the doctor relayed the information, I felt Kayla's fingers tighten around my shirt, her nails digging into the fabric as she surrendered to her tears once more.

"Will my baby be okay?" Her voice was barely audible between her heart-wrenching sobs.

"She will have to be on bed rest for the duration of her pregnancy if she recovers," the doctor explained, his voice steady but not unkind. "She may also need to have a scheduled C-section, depending on how things progress."

If she recovers. The word 'if' rolled into my mind like a haunting echo. I loved her. Our connection was something far beyond words or superficial emotions; it was an indestructible bond that entwine our souls. My heart ached with worry, longing for the simplicity and warmth of having Mercedes safe in my arms, feeling the gentle movements of our son safe inside her.

"Can we see her?" Kayla's voice broke through my thoughts.

"She's still asleep so one at a time right now," the doctor replied.

Offering her a weak smile, I said, "Go ahead, I'll wait out here."

With a small nod, Kayla followed the doctor down the lengthy hospital corridor, leaving me alone in the waiting room. I sank into one of the chairs, my mind a whirlwind of thoughts and fears. I couldn't remember the last time I had felt this frightened. Fear was a foreign emotion to me, one I hadn't felt in years, but now it consumed me. The thought of losing Mercedes and our unborn son was my worst nightmare. I wanted to change, to be a better man for Mercedes, to be the father our son deserved.

An hour later, Kayla returned to the waiting room. Her face was still pale, but the wild panic in her eyes had been replaced with a sense of calm. "She's awake," she announced gently, "and she's asking for you."