Chapter 11

Christmas was soon approaching and Hogwarts was covered in four feet of snow. The twins had been put in detention because they had jinxed snowballs to fly at the back of Professor Quirrell’s turban. But, you really couldn’t blame them. Everyone was getting restless, the few owls that made it through the storm to deliver mail had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could fly off again. Even though the Gryffindor common room had roaring fires, all of the halls and class rooms were especially chilly, Snape’s class room was the coldest of all down in the dungeons where the first year Gryffindor’s and Slytherins found ourselves one day.

“I do feel so sorry, for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts this Christmas because they are not wanted at home.” Malfoy said, looking at Harry and I with a smug look on his face.  “Lay off would you Malfoy? No one finds you funny!” I snapped at his sassy little blond face. I am not in the mood for this right now. I am cold and in my least favorite class of the day. Harry was ignoring Malfoy as he measured out some ingredients. Malfoy had gotten particularly annoying these days after Slytherin lost. At first he had made fun of Harry saying that a wide mouthed frog was going to replace Harry as seeker but when no one found this funny he just returned to his usual jokes about how Harry and I have got no proper family.

It was true though that Harry and I were not staying for Christmas at the Dursleys. It was probably going to be one of the best ones yet. When Professor McGonagall went around with a list of who was staying or not, Harry and I immediately put our names on the list. Ron and the rest of the Weasleys are going to stay too so this is going to be good. Happily, I walked out of Potions, linking arms with Hermione, Harry, and Ron. When we got out, a big, snowy white fir tree was blocking our way. Two very large feet were poking out under it so we knew it was our half-giant friend. “Hey Hagrid, need some help?” Ron said, sticking his head through the branches. “No, I think its alright Ron!” Hagrid said, sticking his head out from behind the tree.

“Would you mind moving out of the way?” Came Malfoy’s cold sneer from behind us. “Trying to earn some extra money Weasley? Hoping to be a gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose… That hut of Hagrid’s must seem like a palace compared to what your family’s used to.” Malfoy said rudely. That stupid jerk! How could he insult the Weasleys like that! From the few that are at Hogwarts I know that they are the nicest bunch of people ever! Ron dived at Draco just as Snape was coming up the stairs. “WEASLEY!” Snape shouted and I pulled Ron back from Draco. “He was provoked Professor Snape, Draco was insulting his family.” Hagrid defended Ron. “Be as that may, fighting is against the rules at Hogwarts. Five points will be taken from Gryffindor. Be grateful it isn’t more.” Professor Snape said in a monotone voice.

I started walking up the stairs with Ron, Harry, and Hermione in tow and said “Cheer up you guys! It’s almost Christmas!” I stopped and grabbed both of Ron’s hands. “And don’t listen to Malfoy. He’s a real jerk, you know that? And all of the people I have met of your family have been so kind to Harry and I and all of you are the friendliest bunch of people I know. Plus, I’m sure that your house is beautiful and I would LOVE to go there sometime.” I said to Ron and pulled him in for a hug. When I pulled away he said blushing, “Thanks Lucy. It’s just it really gets on my nerves when someone insults my family like that because we are not the richest bunch of people.”

I smiled and grabbed all of their hands again and skipped off to the Great Hall with Hagrid following us. I stopped dead at the entrance. The Great hall looked absolutely fabulous. It had 12 Christmas trees throughout the room with all of the walls covered in Holly and mistletoe. All of the Christmas trees were sparkling with icicles candles. “How many days are there until the Holidays?” Hagrid asked us. “Just one. And that reminds me, boys and Lucy, we should be in the Library. There’s half an hour until lunch.” Hermione said. “Ugh! Hermione, but it’s almost Christmas and we are going to be leaving, don’t you want something fun to do?” I whined. “We can do something fun once we find out who Nicholas Flamel is.” Hermione said determinedly. “You what?”  Hagrid said, looking shocked. “You need to listen to me; I’ve told you to drop it! It’s nothing to you what that dog’s guarding.” Hagrid insisted. “Hagrid, we were just wondering who Nicholas Flamel is that’s all!” I lied to Hagrid. Yes we did want to find out who Nicholas Flamel is but we also wanna find out more about what the dog is guarding and why Snape would like to find out about it. “Or, you can just tell us and save us the trouble. We must have gone through at least a hundred books already. Please just give us a hint, I swear I have read his name somewhere.” Harry said.