Chapter 7

A/N: Hey! Sorry I havn't uploded. I was writing a long chappie that I hope is good! Please comment, vote, and Fan!

-Lucymaek

As I looked up at the castle, my heart soared. It was so beautiful and I could not believe that I had the privilege to go to this school. We all clambered onto the rocks when we got to the shore and Hagrid found Neville’s toad when we were getting out of the boat. “Hey, whose toad is this?” Hagrid said. “TREVOR!” Neville shouted with glee. We walked up to the castle doors and Hagrid knocked three times. The door opened at once and a tall, black haired witch with emerald green robes and a very stern looking face stood there. “These are the first years Professor McGonagall.” Hagrid said. Professor McGonagall led us away from the crowd of voices coming from nearby and took us into a small room off to the side. “The Start of Term Banquet will begin in a moment! But, before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. This is a very important ceremony because; while you are here your houses will be like your family. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitories, and spend your free time in your house common room. The four houses are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin…” After this I zoned out, thinking about which house I would be sorted in. I think I really wanted to be in Gryffindor, from what I read in Hogwarts, A History, Gryffindor’s are brave and daring, which are exactly my qualities. Everyone was talking about what we would have to do in our “test” until about twenty ghosts floated into the room, all talking about someone named Peeves. When Professor McGonagall came to get us, we all lined up in a single line, and walked into the Great Hall.

 All I could think was PRETTY! There were candles hanging in midair and a lot of shiny goblets and plates placed along four tables. I looked up at the ceiling to find that it had millions of stars. From what I read, it was charmed to look like the sky outside. As we stood there, McGonagall came up front with a stool and placed a dirty looking hat on it. Then a rip started to form in the brim of the hat and it started to sing:

“Oh you may not think I’m Pretty, But don’t judged on what you see, I’ll eat myself if you can find a hat smarter than me. You can keep your bowlers black, your top hats sleek and tall, for I’m the Hogwarts Sorting Hat and I can cap them all. There’s nothing hidden in your head the Sorting Hat can’t see, so try me on and I will tell you where you ought to be. You might belong in Gryffindor, Where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring, nerve, and chivalry set Gryffindor’s apart; you might belong in Hufflepuff, Where they are just and loyal, Those patient Hufflepuffs are true and unafraid of toil; Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you’ve a ready mind, Where those of wit and learning, will always find their kind; Or perhaps in Slytherin you’ll make your real friends, those cunning folk use any means to achieve their ends. So put me on! Don’t be afraid! And don’t get in a flap! You’re in safe hands (though I have none) for I’m a Thinking Cap!”

After this, the whole hall burst into applause. Ron was talking to Harry about killing Fred, and I smiled. Yes, this would be better. It could be worse. As Professor McGonagall started to read names off a long piece of parchment; Abbot, Hannah became a Hufflepuff, as well as Bones, Susan. Then Boot, Terry and Brocklehurst, Mandy became Ravenclaws. Brown, Lavender became the first new Gryffindor, and Bulstrode Millicent became a Slytherin. Finch-Flechley, Justin became a Hufflepuff; and Finnigan, Seamus became a Gryffindor. Granger, Hermione (The bushy haired girl on the train) became a Gryffindor and Ron groaned. I reached over and hit him lightly on the arm and he stopped. Longbottom, Neville took a long time but he finally got sorted into Gryffindor. Malfoy, Draco (Major Creepo) got sorted into Slytherin and I was so happy because I was not going to be in the same house as him. Or so I hoped.

Some other people got called and then FINALLY- “Potter, Lucy!” I walked up to the stool as a few people turned and stared. “…The Lucy Potter? ...The boy-who-lived’s sister?” and some other comments were said as I walked up there. I put on the Hat and it said to me, “Hm, very difficult, hm. Just like your mother. You would do great in-“The hat did not get to finish its sentence because I was silently pleading: “Gryffindor, Gryffindor, Gryffindor” silently in my head. “Oh Gryffindor, I see. Well better be-“It said the last part out loud “GRYFFINDOR!” I took off the hat and practically ran to the Gryffindor table and sat down next to Hermione, while smiling so wide I felt like my mouth would be stuck like that. McGonagall called Potter, Harry and the hall instantly got quiet. Harry took probably as long as I did and I held my breath before the hat yelled “GRYFFINDOR!” and our table cheered the loudest out of everyone. Harry and I hugged each other and then both crossed our fingers when Ron was about to be sorted. It barely touched his head before screaming “GRYFFINDOR!” Fred, George, Percy, Harry, Hermione, and I all hugged him when he sat down. This was going to be a great year! Professor got to his feet and all cheering subsided. He said “Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you!”

 He sat back down and I did not know what to think of this. As I looked down, I realized that once he had said these words, mounds and mounds of food had filled up the table. The ghost across from me was looking at the food sadly. “Can’t you…” Harry said. “No, I haven’t eaten for 500 years. I don’t need to, but one does miss it. May I introduce myself; my name is Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington. Resident ghost of Gryffindor Tower.” The ghost said. “Oh! I know who you are! You’re Nearly Headless Nick! My brother told me about you!” Ron said cheerfully. “Nearly Headless? How can you be nearly headless?” Seamus asked. “Like this” Nearly Headless Nick answered irritably. After this he proceeded to pull off his head so it swung off of his shoulder. Well OK then... I thought. This was how my year was going... AWESOME!! We started talking about what kind of witches and wizards we were until Harry looked at this greasy haired, hooked nose teacher and his scar hurt. I could tell it hurt so I gave him a hug. He asked Percy who the Professor was and he told him his name was Professor Snape. I knew that they would not get along well right from there. Professor Dumbledore got up again and the school started singing at different times and all in different tunes. The twins were singing this at a death march which took longer than the rest of us. We sung these words:

Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts, Teach us something please, Whether we be old and bald, Or young with scabby knees, Our heads could do with filling with some interesting stuff, For now they’re bare and full of air, Dead flies and bits of fluff, So teach us things worth knowing Bring back what we’ve forgot, Just do your best, we’ll do the rest, And learn until our brains all rot”

And then all of us first years followed Percy through doorways hidden behind sliding panels and hanging tapestries. They were walking up staircases and I was wondering how much longer we would have to go because I was insanely tired. We suddenly came to a halt and met Peeves the poltergeist. He started throwing walking sticks at them and Percy threatened to tell the Bloody Baron on him and then he flew away, dropping one of the sticks on Neville’s head. After being warned by Percy we reached a portrait of a fat woman in a pink dress. “Password?” She said. “Caput Draconis” Percy said and it swung forward to reveal a cozy looking room with a bunch of squashy armchairs. We girls walked up to our dorm and the boys the other. Before I went up I hugged Ron, Harry and Hermione and told them “You guys this is going to be an amazing year!” and planted a kiss on Harry and Ron’s cheeks and walked upstairs with Hermione, both of us too tired to talk.