Chapter 48: A New Order

Start from the beginning

"Good Morning Saphira! How are you feeling?" Eragon asked with a smile.

"I'm fine, little one. We did it! We killed Tenga and the war is finally over!." Saphira stated with a loud voice and  a laugh.

Eragon hugged her.

"I'm glad I didn't lose you Saphira." he said.

"Me too little one...Me too." Saphira replied.

Eragon saw Arya as she came towards him with a big smile. Every time he looked at her he was filled with love for her, for the mother of his future child.

"Eragon! I have news." she said as she came running towards him.

"What is it Arya?" Eragon asked with curiosity written on his face.

Arya came closer and whispered something in Eragon's ear.

"I'm going to have twins after all." Arya said excitedly. Eragon laughed, feeling like the luckiest person in the world. 

Saphira roared her approval and flew in the air, but was forced to land a few seconds later. Eragon felt the familiar pain in his hand. He felt a great sadness in his mind, as if Saphira had not understood the gravity of her injury until that moment.

"Let's all go celebrate!" he said determined not to let Saphira mull over her weakness. 

****

Salador heard the commotion and learned the news from Eragon. He was going to be a father.  He smiled, and congratulated him. His mind searched for Alaina, the woman he loved. Time was running out, she would soon fly to Ellesmera and who knew when they would meet again. He found her in a secluded spot, her mind was open to the environment around her, observing the life of the valley. Salador also liked to observe the life around him, as Eragon had taught him. It made him calm and gave him peace from his problems.  Not wanting to disturb Alaina, he sat next to her, aware that she would know his thoughts as he opened his mind to her.

He felt a closeness to her, and his heart started beating fast, as it always did when she was near. He smelled her scent, filling his lungs with it. 

"Salador, it is good to see you." Alaina said finally after a few minutes.

"It's always a pleasure to talk to you Alaina." Salador replied.

"I wanted to discuss something with you..." he said and stopped not knowing how to proceed.

Alaina looked at him, a knowing smile appearing on her face.

"Alaina.... you are the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with, ever since I first saw you I liked you and after all the discussions we have had, and the time we have passed together I am beginning to understand that I do not just like you. My feelings are deeper than that.  I love you Alaina, and I do not know if I can live without you. My heart races when you are near, like a drum in the Dragon Eggs Festival we have every year." he said and laughed loud. After a short pause to gather his thoughts he continued, as he looked at the eyes of the woman he loved.

"When I look in your eyes, I feel like I am looking at all the wisdom of the world. I do everything in my power to make you smile, and happy or gain your approval and be with you.

"I do not want to lose you Alaina. You mean everything to me." he said.

For a few seconds Alaina continued looking at Salador. When he was sure he had made a complete fool of himself Alaina answered.

"I love you too Salador. If only you knew how much." she said and she kissed him. Again and again they kissed, unable to hide their passion for one another.

In the distance Gadaroth roared in triumph, celebrating his rider's love as he flew in the sky, his yellow color radiating like a  second sun.

****

Eragon looked from his keep at the city below him. It had been a few weeks since the attack and the city had been repaired completely. Arya stood besides him as they saw Saphira and Firnen fly in the air. Saphira was doing better, but she was still too weak to fly for a long time. Every now and then he felt a pain in his arm, knowing that it came from Saphira's healed wing.

Three more dragons and riders flew in the distance, and a fourth dragon soon joined them. Felangoud was beginning to open to the world again, which was a good thing for the young dragon, despite his rider's death. Salador and Alaina had been enjoying each other's company. Eragon smiled, happy that they could live their happiness together. Thrain had busied himself with making new swords for the new rider order.

Blodgharm and a few other elves had been sent around Alagaesia with dragon eggs to search for new dragon riders. The order needed to grow and he needed to teach more dragons and riders. It was his responsibility as Lead Rider.

Roran was doing well in Alagaesia. He had managed to stop the rebellions with the help of Alarik and was enjoying his time with Katrina and his children. King Orik was ruling the dwarves without problems, and King Vanir of the elves had made a good start in his rule, by quenching the voices of the separatist elves. He hoped that Alagaesia could heal of its many wounds, and that the different races could live with each other eventually but there were other things that needed his attention, such as exploring the land beyond the Dragon city.

Overall, he felt excited for the future, and for the new dragon order. But most of all he felt thrilled for his opportunity to be a father, the opportunity to raise children of his own, and amazed by the fact that a beautiful and wise woman such as Arya loved him. He looked at her growing belly and a sense of love filled him to the brim.

"I love you so much Arya!" he said and kissed her.

"I love you too Eragon." she said laughing.

Once again they kissed, their lips touching over and over, until they forgot everything and everyone else, two lovers who celebrated their love with a kiss.