Chapter 48: A New Order

Silence ruled over the city of Du Skulblaka Ramr. Only the sound of the birds chirping and the occasional gust of wind broke it's rule. Smoke rose from a few of the buildings and the few defenders that remained looked on in silence and agony towards the keep's garden, where Saphira Bjartskular and Eragon had been transported. Dragons and riders were guarding them like statues, unmoving.

        Eragon had been healed of his wounds by Arya who had found him laying on the floor. Immediately, Eragon lifted himself and ran towards Saphira, shouting her name in agony. He saw Saphira unconscious, and in a pool of blood. He saw the grievous wound and tears filled his eyes. Her wing had almost been sliced off, and it would take a true miracle to be able to heal it.

"Eragon..." Arya managed to say but Eragon was already examining the wound closely. He was about to make a complicated healing spell and he did not want under any circumstances to make a mistake. He had a determined look on his face as he prepared the spell. In a moment, all his studies about the anatomy of dragons, and healing came to his mind. He searched through his memories one by one, selecting the elements that would help him in creating the spell.

He felt his heart race, his hand trembled from the anxiety. Every minute counted, as Saphira was losing more blood. He opened his mind to the eldunarya and told them of his situation and asked them for advice. Few of the Eldunarya knew anything more than him about healing, but with their contributions the final spell was changed a bit to make it work better.

"We wish you the best of luck Shadeslayer." Umaroth said.

"I thank you for your support, Umaroth." Eragon said anxious to put the pleasantries at an end and begin to heal Saphira.

Eragon began to sing, his voice steady and powerful as he used the power from his own body but also from the eldunarya. Saphira had began to shiver with cold and her pulse had slowed. Bones and muscles and nerves were connected once again, as Eragon began to heal the damage  that had been caused by Tenga's sword and tried to slow the blood loss. He dragged each word of the spell trying to think of the next step, making sure that he had not forgotten any crucial detail. Arya began to sing with him and so did the other riders, aiding him in his healing as they added their strength to his own. He guided the river of energy in his mind, trying to contain it.

Many hours passed when at last, Eragon stopped singing, looking at his work. The wing looked whole again, as if the wound had never existed but it would take time for it to grow strong again, and even if it did, it would be doubtful that Saphira would be able to fly for long distances, especially with his weight on top of her. He looked once again at the sleeping form of his dragon and felt her pulse with his mind. With his hand, he petted Saphira, and looked at the beautiful blue scales, admiring her beauty. The pain in his hand was gone, meaning that Saphira was no longer in pain. She was out of danger finally. He took a deep breath and lowered himself on the ground. As he lied down near his dragon the words of Angela came to his mind and he laughed a bitter laugh.

"You will leave Alagaesia and never return." she had said. If only he had known the reason that would happen before the battle with Tenga. Slowly as he mulled over the words and what they meant, his eyelids closed and for once, he slept as he used to do before his transformation. 

Arya looked at Eragon and Saphira sleeping. He had just sung one of the most complicated healing spells she had heard. She was amazed by the power it took to heal Saphira, as many of the smaller Eldunarya had entirely spent their energy but also at the transformation that Eragon had. He was now wiser and stronger  than he had been after the death of Galbatorix and she loved him with all her heart.

She remained there, looking at Eragon and Saphira, even as Firnen joined her.

****

"Little one, wake up!" Saphira told Eragon the next day, seeming energetic.