Prologue

A/N I've finally posted the first part of the Run/Hunt AU! I'm really excited and I hope it's enjoyable for you to read. Please vote and comment if you do!

Humans and Werewolves. That's the dynamic in this kingdom. Humans are seen as frail and useless, Werewolves, on the other hand, are dominant and are entirely relied upon.

But there's a catch.

When humans turn seventeen they become eligible to enter the most popular event that only happens once a year. The Run. The Run is a terrifying prospect for me, I turned seventeen a month ago and now my closest friends and I are going to be part of it tomorrow.

The Run is when humans are released into the forest at the centre of the kingdom, it's specially designed for this event. There's even plaques and statues to commemorate the more memorable occurrences during the Run. Example: When the King found the Queen, or when polar opposites came together ;).

This year is especially exciting because the prince has been in the Run for four years and still has yet to find his mate. Everyone in the kingdom has high hopes for him.

I feel bad that he has to undergo the pressure of finding a mate like I am. But he is for a different reason. I'm under pressure because my father and I are in desperate need of money and stability, so me finding a werewolf who has a good job is pretty much the only option.

I'm hoping that when I do find my mate he or she will love me. I hope that I will love them because I really don't want to live my life with someone who doesn't love me. Trust me it's happened. There's a plaque in the forest signifying the 'first mates to platonically love one another'. Meaning, their love is only friendship and not romantic.

Another thing worth mentioning, Werewolves like calling the Run 'the Hunt' since that's what they do. They hunt us humans while we run from them. It's a game for the Were's. They like the chase. It comes from their natural instinct, and their natural instinct tells them they need to hunt their mate and protect them.

The chances of me finding my Werewolf mate are high, but I do hope I don't get one even though it'll help my father and I. But there's the fear that I'm going to end up with an alcoholic and abusive mate that won't give a damn about me.

There was one pair of mates a few years back when the Werewolf only used their mate as a sex slave. The human killed themselves as that's not what they wanted, not how their life was meant to be. The Werewolf still lives today, but is heartbroken. They did all they could to hide that they really did care for the human. The human gave them a pup, but the Werewolf gave it up for adoption, not wanting it.

I'm Stiles Stilinski, I'm seventeen if you haven't guessed. I'm a dork with a skinny body. I'm pathetic and I'm going on the Run tomorrow.