t w e n t y - t w o

Start from the beginning

Anthony shrugged and continued to eat his food.

"You wanna go to a birthday party with me?" August asked Arnell.

"Sure." Arnell answered. She didn't know who's party it was, but she desperately wanted to get out of the house.

"What about you Ant?"

"Who party is it?" Anthony asked.

"You know my friend Tyree? His son King is turning four." August said.

Almost all of August's friends had kids. He was probably the only one without any.

"Where it's at?"

"Over there at Martin Luther King park."

"Nah, I think me and Jay gone hang out today." Anthony replied.

"Couldn't you have said that before I explained everything?" August laughed. "You shouldn't have asked if you didn't want to go."

Anthony shrugged and put his dishes in the sink.

"What about you, Nell?" August said. "You still wanna go?"

Arnell nodded. She liked Tyree and his son. She babysat him a couple of times.

"Aight it's at three so be ready." August ordered.

When it was time to go, August put the presents he got for King into the car.

"Can we stop by the store to get some snacks?" Arnell asked as August pulled out of the driveway.

"Yeah, but don't take forever in there, I don't wanna be late."

Arnell nodded. Like any one was on time for a birthday party anyway.

They stopped by the corner store and Arnell quickly got out. She went inside in search of Arizona Tea and Sour Patch Kids.

She was walking down the candy aisle when she heard a familiar voice. She went over to the next aisle where she saw Damitri's arm wrapped around some girl. Arnell shook her head and laughed.

"Something funny to you?" Tasia confronted.

She must have saw Arnell looking at them.

"What?" Arnell said.

"Meech, you know this hoe?" Tasia asked.

Damitri opened his mouth to talk but Arnell cut him off.

"Who you callin' a hoe?!" Arnell asked.

They were starting to get the attention of some workers.

"Nells, chill." Damitri ordered glaring at her. "Watch out, Tasia." He said pushing her aside.

"Well, tell this bitch to stay in a child's place." Tasia smirked looking Arnell up and down.

Arnell rolled her eyes and walked passed them. It was not that serious. Arnell and Damitri weren't even together and she damn sure wasn't about to get into a fight over his ass.