Part 8

The Life Model Decoys charged us from all sides.
I sprinted towards the nearest one, and slid under its mechanical arm as it attempted to strike.
I balled my fists, squeezing my wrists and something shot out onto the floor.
Thwip!
"What the..." I started.
!!!
I ducked just in time to keep my head from getting knocked off. It was a win-win, however, because being bent over gave me a split second to examine what had just been shot out of my wrist.
From a short glance it appeared to be some sort of...web?
I might have had more time to think of a more logical answer had a killer robot not been trying to decapitate me.
I backed up a few more steps, dodging swings left and right.
Well, I thought. Whatever that crap is that just ejected from my skin, it's better than no weapon.
I pointed my wrist at the robot, and squeezed it in the same fashion I had done a few moments before. Sure enough, a web-like substance shot out and attached itself to the robot, covering its entire torso.
Thwip!
"Sweet!" I exclaimed.
My excitement; however, didn't last for long, as the LMD swung its entire body to the left, causing me to go flying into a nearby crate. I attempted to stand up, but the robot wasn't done with me yet. This time, it turned its body to the right,and flung me headfirst into Frank.
I knocked him down, and apologized.
"Okay, enough of this!" I declared.
Fed up, I jumped up on my legs, and with pure frustration I grabbed the line of web-like substance that was attached to the robot, and with all my might I swung it as hard as I could towards the wall.
CRASH!
The LMD shattered into a dozen pieces. I was beginning to get the hang of the web-like...you know what, screw it. I'm going to call it web because that is what it looked like.
I checked on my friends, and they seemed to be getting the hang of their newfound abilities as well.
Frank appeared to have gained superhuman strength, as I witnessed him punch straight through two LMDs, and then send a third flying fifty feet away.
I gazed in Jennifer's direction to see her situation, and was stunned to see her freezing LMDs where they stood. She appeared to be creating and projecting ice shards with her hands. That explained why her body temperature plummeted during the procedure! Another thing I noticed about her is that her hair was no longer blonde, but rather platinum blonde. I have to admit, she was pulling it off quite well. At least, until a LMD caught her off guard and delivered a nasty hit to her legs. She toppled to the ground and rolled to avoid another hit.
As I webbed another LMD, my attention turned to Drew, who appeared to be everywhere at once. After I located his head, I realized that he was stretching his body to lengths no person should be able to. He wrapped his body around a bot, and proceeded to quite literally squeeze the life out of it.
Super elasticity, I thought. Not a bad ability.
He crushed one with his body weight and then laughed it off. He hit the deck immediately, however, barely missing a laser bolt.
The only person left I had to check on was...Amy! I wheeled around, looking in all directions for her.
Looking for me, Danny?
I stopped in my tracks.
That was weird, I thought. That sounded like Amy.

That's because it IS me, Danny!

Amy?

Turn around.

I did as the voice asked, and when I turned around I saw Amy across the room. My eyes widened, and she waved to me and gave me a little smile.
Pretty cool, huh? Amy's voice said.

Amy? What the... How the... That is a really nice shirt! What is that, 100% cotton? Because it looks really comfortable- wait a second. How the hell can I hear you in my mind?!?

I heard her snicker across the room.
It's called telepathy, Danny. I discovered that I had it last night. Not only can I talk to people in their thoughts, it's like I can move things with my mind! Watch!

She turned toward the nearest LMD, and without hesitation tapped it on the shoulder. It spun around, raised its arm to strike Amy... and it froze.
I stared, open mouthed, as Amy pushed the robots arm back with her mind. I paid close attention to her face, and I could tell she was in deep concentration.
I am, Amy's voice said. Thank you for noticing.
Damn, I didn't think I was ever going to get used to her being in my head.
I watched in awe as the robot flew across the room, it appearing to have completely forgotten how the laws of physics worked.
!!!!
Zap!
I did a backflip; the laser bolt barely missed my forehead as I landed safely about four feet behind my original position.
!!!
I ducked as an LMD swung its arm at the back of my head. I reacted quickly, grabbing it's arms and flipping the entire bot over my body. I began to pound the robot with my fist, repeatedly striking its metal head with my hand.
Clang clang clang.
To my surprise, my fist wasn't broken from beating the crap out of the robot. In fact, there were barely any scratches on my hand at all.
Bang
I cringed as Frank was utterly slammed into one of the walls by a LMD. He fell to the ground on all fours, and then had to roll out of the way in order to not get his head stomped in by the same bot.
The fighting went on for a few more minutes, then the initial beeping noise sounded off again.
BEEP.
I looked around me, and my "team" of mutants were mostly keeled over trying to catch their breath. We looked fairly well for a bunch of teenagers who had just gotten laid on our asses by a bunch of scrap metal. The door to the training room opened and Director Curry strolled through.
I stood up straight, anxious to hear what comments he had on our first training session.
"It wasn't pretty," he began.
"Honestly.... it was garbage. We will run it again."
He turned his back to us and began walking out.
"This time, try communicating more!"
I looked around at my teammates, sweating and out of breath. Speechless.
The training doors closed.
BEEP