The Break Room

I don't want to bore you with the details of my entire chat with Dr. Savannah, so I'll just give you a summary of what she told me: basically, a mutant is a human who possesses a genetic trait called an "X-gene" that allows the body to naturally develop superhuman powers and abilities.

She also happened to mention that a mutant's abilities start showing up around when they turn eighteen and usually finish fully developing around their mid-twenties. The positive outlook I had from the conversation was the fact that she keep saying "mutants", with an s at the end of it, which implied I wasn't the only one. I figured the "others" I had heard about earlier were also mutants. Anyway, now that you're filled in, back to the story.

"...And that's why we had to bring you in for testing," Dr. Savannah said, "We had to be 100 percent sure you were a mutant!"

"But how did you know I was a mutant before you brought me in?" I inquired.

"Well, that's an easy one: your medical records! Every time you go to the doctor or get medical tests done, those health records are put in a file that the government can conveniently access if needed!" She stopped to catch her breath, "Wow! Science is fun, isn't it?"

We kept walking, going down a hallway with room after room on either side. It felt like I was walking through an ant farm! Whatever this place was, it gave off the vibe that it was important and you couldn't work here without a college education. We turned right at the hall and walked through a giant room full of computers and other state of the art electronics.

"This is the place!" Dr. Savannah exclaimed in excitement. We stopped. She was pointing towards a room that read, "Mutant Break Room" across the door.

"Shall we?" She opened the door. I was hesitant to walk in at first, not knowing what to expect from the other mutants.

Dr. Savannah gave my hand a tug, "Don't worry," she winked, "None of them bite...hard." She finished her sentence with a playful giggle.

Before I could comprehend what she had said, she pulled me in the room and closed the door behind us. It looked like a stereotypical break room - it had a coffee maker, a fridge, a few couches and tables, a counter; there was even a flat screen tv on the wall. There were also four kids my age in the room.

Before I had time to analyze any further, Dr. Savannah spoke up, "Hi, everyone! This is Danny, he just got here, so make him feel welcome!"

The four teens in the room all looked up. One in particular, the blond male, seemed pretty happy about the news, "No worries, Doc! We'll make him feel right at home!"

She smiled and without as much as another word, turned heel and left the room. Thanks Doctor, I'm glad I had such a good introduction.

The blond haired male hopped off the red sofa. He walked up to me and stuck out his hand. I shook it, without hesitation he introduced himself, "What's up, bro. I'm Andrew, but my friends just call me Drew."

I smiled and could already tell we were going to get along. "I'm Daniel, but my friends call me Danny," I said.

"Alright well, Danny, nice to meet you! Let me introduce you to your fellow mutants," The way he emphasized mutants made it seem like it was a word from a foreign language.

He turned to the only other male in the room, who was leaning on the counter and staring into nothingness. He was dark skinned and appeared to be about six and a half feet. He had big arms, but I noticed he wasn't really built.

"Yo, Frank, this is Danny!" Drew put his arm on my shoulder and looked back at Frank for confirmation.

Frank nodded, "Sup," he replied.

I nodded back and barely had time to breath before Drew spun me around to face the opposite direction, "That's Jennifer." He added, whispering, "She's hard to deal with sometimes."

The blonde girl's head snapped up. I could see in her deep sea blue eyes that she was pissed, "I heard that, Drew!" She remarked.

Drew's face turned red, "Ha, sorry about that! Just giving him a fair warning," he joked.

She opened her mouth as if she was going to yell some more, but her imtimidating stare found me, her jaw muscles relaxed, "Hi, I'm Jennifer," she stated, "And for the record, I'm not hard to deal with!"

I nodded. "I'll make sure to keep that in mind."

Drew turned me again, this time towards the green couch. On it lay a girl almost nose deep in what appeared to be a science magazine. She had mahogany hair and icy blue eyes.

Drew cleared his throat, "Amy? This is-"

"Danny," The girl looked up and laughed, "He's only been introduced three times since he got here." She hopped off the couch, and I realized that she was only five foot. It wasn't a big deal or anything, but being a little over six foot made everyone seem like average height to me. She walked over to me, and with a sweet smile she stuck out her hand, "Name's Amy Rose!"

I shook her hand and with a smile I replied, "Name's Danny, in case you didn't catch it."

She let out a heartfelt giggle, "I did." She gestured towards Drew, whose face had turned red again.

"Welcome to the break room, what are you in for?"

"Jaywalking," I chuckled.

Once again she gave out a laugh. I could tell we were going to get along just fine.

There was a knock on the door. I turned just in time to see two men in black suits step inside. They took place on either side of the door, one held the door open as a man walked through.
He was an older, softisticated looking dark skinned man, with an eye patch over one eye. He wore a black leather coat that almost went down to his calves. Whoever he was, I could tell he was important, because his combat boats were shined to perfection. The door closed and the man looked around the room at all five of us. He grunted, as to give some sort of approval. He turned to the men next to the door. "Leave us," he said.

"Yes sir," They both said simultaneously.

After they had left, he walked to the center of the room, he cleared his throat, "Ladies and gentleman," he said, "Welcome to the S.C.I.A."