Epilogue (Part One)

Start from the beginning

The music of goodbye plays around me. One moment, the sound is on my eyebrows. My skin. And then, it is in my heart. It feels natural. It moves naturally. As if it belongs and maybe, just maybe, it does.

In the breath of the thick afternoon air, the wind whistled. The wind blows through the spaciously boundless sky. To much of my dismay, a nightingale sings. His song being loud and of what I assumed was new beginnings. If memories had been a ghost, they would haunt my every move.

The sun goes onward, and begins its rise higher. The gold streams into my room, creating a strip of dust.

My head slightly dwindles on to the cold pillow looking at it with the purest of bliss. The June serenity making my skin warm, the pleasing bashful breeze dancing all over me.

The natural light falls with such an allure and sets all hearts alight with reminiscences and deep covets. The sun making the day filled with such tranquilizing colours.

Some afternoons are dreadful but this one, is sublime. It is far beyond scriptures but as though an artist had grazed it. Creating the resplendent blue of the sky and the striking yellow of the sun.

I want to be one with the masterpiece. One with the gift that we had been so graciously given. I want to feel the beams of sunlight become enmeshed upon me. Become all that I am and all that I see. But, a voice speaks just as I begin to close my eyes.

"What are you doing?" The voice questions, a touch of humour evident within it.

I could picture the smile that he always had on his face succumbing; slightly prominent creases shown in the corners of his mouth.

"Guess." I said, my voice coming out dull and full of nothing but widely expressed annoyance.

"Daydreaming with your eyes closed?" He said, trying his best to get a rise out of me: it is working.

"Maybe, maybe not."

It became silent after I said those words. The kind of silence that chilled every inch of your bones. The kind of silence that was sweaty palms, hair tearing and heart clenching. There were words that needed to be said between us but neither one of us took the opportunity to speak first.

"What are you fantasizing about?" He said, hesitantly. I knew that was not what he really wanted to say, it was just his way of prolonging coming out with what sat on the tip of his tongue.

"Zayn..." I trailed off, my voice coming out as almost a whisper. My eyes opened slowly and fell upon his stature. He rested his body slackly against the bedroom door as he stared into my eyes vehemently. His arms are both firmly rested against his chest. The thin white material wrapping tightly around his upper body; the material allows for the permanent black imprints on his skin to be shown. "What is going on?"

"Are you okay?" He said suddenly, catching me widely off guard. He tore his gaze away from mine and began to look everyone but me. I rose my eyebrows in confusion, for both his reasoning for doing and saying what he did.

"Why would I not be?" I asked.

"It is just, I know that you wished that your father could be here with you, experiencing this. And, I just wanted to make sure that you were feeling alright." He spoke.