On the Streets Pt. 1

This is kind of based off dilsmicrowave's idea, so thanks again :) Something happens that triggers Josh about his and Ethan's time living in the shopping centre.

Friday, 8:00 p.m.

Josh grimaced as the pen mark scrawled outside the line. It had been a hard day. The eight year old had been in trouble at school for not paying attention and he had taken his frustration out on Ethan, and so gotten into trouble with his papa at dinnertime. Their dad was still out and wouldn't be home until late. And now he couldn't even colour in his colour book correctly.

"Okay boys, time for bed," said JJ, wiping his hands on the tea towel as he stood in the entry to the den.

Josh looked up at the clock from his colour book. "It's not eight-thirty," he said, still bothered by the scolding at dinner. He had been quietly stewing on it all evening. It wasn't fair that his papa was upset with him. Ethan didn't do everything right all the time either. Josh was mad at the man but he couldn't exactly figure out why or how to say he was angry.

"I know that kiddo," said JJ. "But tomorrow is a big day and we have to get up extra early."

"I'm not tired," snapped Josh.

"I'm not tired," echoed Ethan. If Josh was going to stay up, he sure wasn't going to go to bed.

JJ raised his eyebrows. It was one of the first times the boys had actually expressed any defiance. They were usually overly compliant in fear of losing their new family, even after nearly a year of living with them. It told JJ that they finally felt secure enough to risk disobedience, but he needed to deal with the defiance carefully and firmly.

"Boys, it doesn't matter if you're tired or not," he said. "You need to get ready for bed now, because we're getting up early, and you need to do what you're told."

Ethan got up and started towards the stairs to the bedrooms, but Josh stayed where he was and looked at JJ. "I want Dad," he challenged.

"Your Dad isn't going to tell you anything different. Get ready for bed," said JJ firmly.

"You're not the boss of me!" countered Josh, raising his chin defiantly.

JJ bristled inside at the challenge, but he kept his cool. "Now that is where you're wrong, little man. Simon and I share responsibilities equally in this home and whether you like it or not, I'm as much in charge as he is. Now, you have a choice. You can do what I say and get ready for bed, or you can wait for Simon and face him as well." JJ took a step towards Josh.

Any thought of defiance fled as Josh instinctively scooted away from the perceived physical threat, sliding under the table just out of reach of JJ. The man approaching him wasn't the fun-loving, kind-hearted man who would do anything to protect him. He was a nightmare from the past come back to get him.

Without any idea of what was in Josh's mind, JJ reached under the table, grabbing hold of Josh's leg and pulling him out, intending to deal promptly with the defiance. Josh slid easily on the hardwood floor, but JJ was totally unprepared for the eight year old's reaction. Josh let out a blood-curdling scream and flung himself wildly trying to escape his captor. Tiny fists pounded JJ's shoulder and arm, while Josh's free leg kicked as hard as he could.

"Josh!" called JJ. "Josh, stop it. It's all right!"

JJ caught one of the flailing arms, but released it quickly when Josh screamed in panic. Realising that his actions were feeding the terror, but unwilling to let the boy remain alone in his panic, JJ did the only thing he could think of. He captured the thrashing child, pulling him into a hug, holding him tightly and speaking soothingly to him.