Big Brothers, Little Brothers Pt. 2

JJ ran all the way home, totally unaware of the burning sensation in his lungs, or how his legs trembled with fatigue as he pounded down the rough track to the house. Stopping only to kick off his own boots and pick up the phone, he took Vik straight to the bathroom and began to run a bath, still cradling the drowsy boy in his arms. Once it was done, he unwrapped Vik and lowered him into the warm water.

"Come on kiddo, wake up," he called softly.

"Mm tired," muttered the youngster. "Cold."

"I know you're cold but you're gonna be warm soon, look we got bubbles and your frog."

JJ wound up the little clockwork frog Tobi had given Vik for Christmas and set it in the water, where it swam slowly in a circle. Vik opened his eyes to watch but was uncharacteristically uninterested in playing with it. As he supported the drowsy child with one hand he used his phone to call the family doctor.

"Hello? It's me, JJ, I need some advice."

JJ told the doctor what had happened and described Vik's current condition. He had JJ take Vik's temperature under his arm which was only 35 degrees centigrade, which considering he was sitting in a warm bath was nowhere near high enough. He advised JJ to wrap Vik warmly and give him a warm drink in a warm room.

"Don't worry JJ, I don't think he was cold enough long enough for there to be any significant problems but I'm on my way over, okay?" the doctor assured.

JJ thanked the doctor and hung up. He heard Simon coming in and called to him. Simon's head appeared around the bathroom door.

"What can I do?" he asked.

"Can you get a blanket and put it in the tumble dryer until it's nice and warm, make Vik some hot chocolate and make up the fire in the living room for me?"

"Sure babe, you call the doctor?"

"Yep, he's on his way over, says not to worry though."

Simon retreated knowing whatever the doctor said, JJ was worried, and he wouldn't stop worrying until Vik was his old self again. Vik was very small for his age and in JJ's eyes that made him more vulnerable, and though he tried not to smother the boy, sometimes smothering was called for. Harry meanwhile had been sent to his room to put on dry socks and wait for Simon. Ten minutes later JJ had dried Vik with a warm towel, wrapped him in the warmed blanket and made him drink the chocolate, then settling himself back in the chair by the fire with Vik lying cocooned on top of him. JJ lay one hand on the boys still cool forehead and the other he slipped inside the warm soft wrapping to lie it over Vik's little heart, reassured by its steady beat.

...

Simon let himself into Harry's room. The messy haired nine-year-old was sitting on his bed, knees pulled up to his chin, his head down still sobbing silent tears. Simon sat down on the bed beside him.

"I'm very angry, you know that, don't you?" he said quietly.

Harry nodded without looking up.

"But I want you to know I will never stop loving you and I will never send you away from here." Simon felt he had to say that first, Harry was in so many ways still very insecure about losing his family, ever since he was six and his mum had passed away.

"Is Vik okay?" came a small muffled voice.

"Doc is going to look him over but I think he is okay, really...Harry Olatunji-Minter, I'm not going to talk to the top of your head." Simon remarked sternly.

Slowly Harry looked up, his face streaked with tears.

"Now tell me what happened," he said more softly.