Uncle Cal Pt. 1

Prompt: Basically Callux gets attacked and the boys get worried.

With the abandon that was always prevalent on a Friday afternoon, Josh, Ethan and Harry ran all the way up the long driveway to the house after getting off the school bus. Tobi had gone straight to a friends house and Vik had a swimming lesson, so it was just the three of them. The three boys were thrilled that it was finally the weekend but that wasn't what propelled them so fast up the gravel drive. Uncle Cal was supposed to come home from the hospital today, and Simon and JJ had told the boys that morning at breakfast that Cal was going to stay at the farmhouse until he felt better. His girlfriend, Sarah, travelled a lot with her music, and Cal had insisted that she didn't take too much time off to spend with him. The conditions were however, that he was to stay at one of the other's houses, and of course, their dads had been the first on that list.

The clock in the hall was just chiming four when the three breathless boys breezed in through the front door, scattering backpacks, jackets and lunch boxes as they went.

"Boys!" called out Zoe.

Three boys froze at the door to the guestroom where Callux would be staying.

"Pick up your things and put them away and close that front door." Zoe scolded as she shuffled them away from the door to the guestroom. "Remember what your dads said. You are not to bother Cal."

"Yes Zoe," all boys mumbled as they trudged back into the front room. Ethan picked up the coats and flung them up in the air, catching them on the arms of the coat rack, while Harry scooped up his backpack and slammed the front door in his natural exuberance. Josh grabbed the lunch boxes with one hand and his backpack with the other, depositing the lunch boxes in the kitchen before making his way to the room he shared with Ethan.

"Change into your other clothes, and come have a snack," said Zoe.

"Yes Zoe!" they called eagerly, hurrying their footsteps down the hall.

...

Clothes changed, snacks eaten, the boys headed out to do their chores before they had free time. Josh and Ethan took Molly for a walk while Harry cleaned his room.

Zoe watched out the kitchen window as the two twelve year olds emerged over the hill chasing after each other, Molly barking behind them, smiling at the squeals of laughter when Josh tackled Ethan and began to tickle him, with Harry running out a moment later to join in. She turned her attention to preparing dinner, knowing that the three boys were entirely capable of entertaining themselves, and for the most part, they managed to stay out of trouble.

It was nearly thirty minutes later before she realised she could no longer hear the boys. Silence was not a good sign with three boisterous children, especially when their names were Josh, Ethan and Harry. It usually meant trouble. Zoe walked out on the back porch and called the boys, but they didn't come. " Oh dear," she muttered, "Cal!" as she realised the boys must have sneaked back into the house. She walked to the bedroom and quietly opened the door, hoping not to disturb him if the boys weren't in the room.

She should have scolded them, but she had to smile at the sight in front of her. Cal seemed to be resting well and Josh and Ethan were sitting in the chair beside the bed watching his every breath. Harry was sitting on the floor cross-legged, leaning against the older boys chair. He too seemed to be mesmerised by the rise and fall of the silent man's chest. They weren't disturbing Cal, and perhaps they were laying to rest their own fears, so she let them stay for a few minutes while she put dinner in the oven.

"Boys?" she said softly when she returned to the room.

Harry swung his head sharply. "We wasn't bothering him!" he whispered loudly.