He shook his head and smiled at me, comforting my fear. “No, it is completely normal. I was just trying to think of a nice way to tell you something without you injuring me,” he laughed.

I ran my hand through my messy hair and tried to control the raging hunger I had. It felt like a fire, consuming my insides, burning out any rational thought. I could feel my eyes change colour and my teeth elongate. Yet, I still had to know. “What?” I breathed out, trying to force down the urge to drink.

“As my future wife, as future Queen, you are not allowed to drink from anyone but me,” he said softly, as if he was afraid I would rip his throat out for saying that.

Instead, I felt a wave of relief hit me. At least I would never have to ever harm a human, just to survive. I felt better knowing that I would never have to go on a hunt to live. I could handle drinking from Alex for the rest of my existence, just because he told me that.

“Princess?” he called and I jerked awake from my thoughts.

“Sorry, I was lost in thought. I won’t kill you,” I said and smiled. “In fact, I won’t even harm you at all. I could literally kiss you for telling me that!”

He smirked at me devilishly handsome and then, he made matters even worse as he ran his hand through his dark hair. “I think I will take you up on that offer,” he said grinning as he leaned in.

I pushed him back with a smile. “No, no way. I first want to eat…or drink in this case,” I said getting confused with the terminology.

He rolled his eyes at me. “Neck or wrist?”

“What?” I said confused.

He sighed as if he was irritated, but by that slight twitch of his lips, I knew he was teasing. “Where would you like to bite me?” he asked slowly.

“Don’t patronise me!” I said and slapped his shoulder.

“Witch!” he cursed. “It hurt me, you know?”

“Did it? Good, next time remember that I don’t know all these things.”

“Whatever,” he mumbled. “Bite my neck then.”

I was appalled and scared at the same time. “No, no. What if I drink you dry? What if I hurt you? I won’t know when to stop. I could hurt you. I could even kill you! No, I can’t,” I protested, starting to get nervous.

He laughed and for some reason, I calmed down as I listened to the sound. Mentally, I screamed at myself to get a grip. I was acting like some lovesick puppy and it was beyond annoying. I was not some weak, damsel in distress that would fall in love with her saviour. Granted, it did happen, but back then I was weak. Right now, I was a trained warrior and future Queen and it was time that I act like one.

I should not be acting like a nimble-minded fool. I was smarter and better than that. I should not be swooning for every sweet thing Alex says to me, nor get all giddy at his every touch.

“But that is what love is about,” he said.

I looked up at him and frowned. “Were you just reading my mind?” I asked calmly.

“No, you were projecting these thoughts,” he answered. “I picked up the negative vibe, Liv, and I heard them. I always try to give you your privacy, but I can’t let this go.”

“It doesn’t matter whether they were negative or not,” I answered quietly. I felt ashamed that he had heard everything I thought. And possibly, he was still reading my mind.

“It does, in fact, I don’t care what vibe they are, Liv. They all matter to me.”

I shook my head. “They shouldn’t.”