Driving

Kevin presses his foot down on the gas and we start driving on a dangerous course. Kevin gasps and he releases his foot a bit to slow the car down after lightly applying his foot on the brake first. "What happened after the fight?"

"One person died while the other went on as a..." His voice starts shaking. "As a...cursed, corrupted, deceitful monster. The side who won...the side that didn't deserve to live...continued to live. He tries every moment of everyday to put his life back together through the one thing he knows how to do."

"Racing?" Kevin's eyes glisten in the sunlight as he sniffs. "He wasn't born as Kevin. He wasn't even born with a real family!" His grip on the wheel trembles as a tear slides down his cheek. "Why did that side win? It got him nowhere. All it did was sentence him. Even his talent can't bring him back. He's gone."

I feel something touch me. "He just wanted to be-!" I look down at myself and I gasp. He looks at me and he grimaces instantly. "Oh-Oh jeez! I'M SORR-!" Without warning, I jab him across the face, causing him to steer left on a very sharp turn as Jasper and Bismuth scream.

"AMETHYST!" Kevin's foot presses all the way down on the accelerator and the car speeds up. I look up at Kevin to see a black eye. He grunts as he closes both eyes and his mouth. I look down at my glove to see that it's covered in blood.

I gape at it as I hear the screeching of the tires on the roadway. "Uh, AMETHYST?!" Jasper points in the road's direction. I look over to see where she's pointing. For a moment, everything stops. We aren't even on the road anymore.

We are driving down a meadow filled with trees and bushes, spinning in a twister of chaos. "Whoops!"
"DO SOMETHING!"
"WHAT?!"
"DRIVE THE CAR!" I look over at the steering wheel and then at Kevin's limp body.

I unbuckle my seat belt before I push him up towards the window. I then move over towards the wheel as I grunt. I grip it firmly and I sit down after I hit the car door on Kevin's side. "Oof!" I look down at where my feet are. "APPLY THE BRAKE!"

There's no time! I have to steer it away from here and we need to get to the train tracks before Rose does. I steer to my right and then my left to stop the spinning. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"
"ARE YOU NUTS?!" I grunt as I place my foot on the brake pedal.

I grip the lever and I pull it down. I grimace as I make another sharp turn to avoid hitting a raccoon. I look over at the other controls to see something that catches my eye. There is a latch that is inscribed with the word "NITROUS" vertically.

I raise my eyebrow as I lift the latch open with a finger to see a button. "Hmm..." I press the button and the car speeds up to such a degree, steering is impossible. I attempt to turn right only to break off the steering wheel. I glare down at it. "Really?"

I look back up to see that we are about to hit a tree and a big one too.
There's no way around it. I must apply the brake. I slide Kevin's foot off the accelerator and I stomp on the brake. The car abruptly stops right before it hits the tree.

Smoke emits from the tires as I grab Kevin by his waist. "It's overheating! We need to go before this thing blows!" I swing the door open as I cough from the smoke. I ditch the car as I run as far away from it as I could with Kevin in my arms, panting with adrenaline.

I collapse about a yard away as I hear the explosion. I grunt as I hit the ground. I look up at Jasper and Bismuth who are folding their arms staring me down. "Eheheheh. Sorry." I look behind me as a tire rolls towards us. "You had to press the button, didn't you?"

I gulp as Jasper grabs the tire. "And you had to punch him too?"
"He had his hand on my-!"
"There are no excuses, Amethyst! What you did nearly cost us the mission!"

"I'm sorry! I-!"
"No...excuses." Jasper and Bismuth start walking away from me as I look down at Kevin. "I'm sorry, Kevin." I carefully lay him down on the ground and I jog away from him to catch up with Jasper and Bismuth as I pant.