What Words Cannot Express (Part One)

My friend Ukulele_Screamo21 just posted a Maximum Ride fanfiction. So if you know the book series, I highly recommend you check that out!

It was fairly late when Oswald got home. He hoped more than anything that Edward wouldn't be awoken by the sound of the door, or his uneven steps echoing through the halls. But when he passed Ed's room he found it empty, the door left open. So perhaps he wasn't home either?

Oswald was a bit worried about by the thought of where Ed could be, or what was possibly keeping him. But of course it could be anything: Ed was perfectly free to come and go as he pleased. So Oswald forced himself to push his concern to the back of his mind and carried on to his own room. Edward didn't even know of his affections, so Oswald did everything he could to keep it a secret. He valued Edward's friendship too much to risk it by admitting how he really felt...so being worried out of his mind just from not knowing where he was, was simply not something he could let show.

In any case, he was sure he could carry on without worrying about the noise his feet made on the smooth marble floor. When he arrived at his room he sighed tiredly and threw open the door without a second thought. To his great surprise he found that there was a small fire burning in the fireplace, while at the same time the sheets on his bed shifted to reveal a familiar figure.

"Ed?" he whispered in shock.

"Oh, Oswald," Ed said quickly as he sat up in the bed and fumbled around on the nightstand for his glasses. "Um, sorry, Oswald. I wasn't really expecting to..."

"What are you doing here?" Oswald asked, much more surprised than he was upset.

Ed must have noticed that he was calm because the fiery red of his cheeks started to fade slightly. He answered slowly, "I...sorry, I was having some trouble sleeping and thought it might be nice to sleep in here...what with the fire and all...and I didn't want to be alone....I wasn't really thinking straight; I'll leave now, I-I'm sorry."

"No it's fine Ed," Oswald said hurriedly, before Ed could trouble himself to get out of bed. Just then he realized, this was his best chance to be close to him. "If it makes you more comfortable, I wouldn't mind sharing the bed with you.

The words came out more easily than he thought they would, truth be told. Of course, it was a very large bed. They still wouldn't be very close, like they were when they lived together in Edward's apartment, so Oswald's invitation for them to share the massive bed could still easily be seen as a simple sign of friendship.

"Are you sure?" Ed inquired carefully. He was trying to find some sort of meaning behind the suggestion, but Oswald seemed to hide his motives surprisingly well.

Oswald nodded in response, relieving Ed of some of his worries. He felt a slight heat rise in his cheeks when the smaller man shrugged off his blazer and placed it over a chair, but with any luck the flickering firelight would successfully hide the color in his face.

There was a moment where Oswald paused and wondered if he should go to the bathroom to change into pajamas. But there was no master bathroom, and his leg was starting to hurt him too much to go to such lengths just to change. So he simply kicked off his shoes, loosened his tie, and crawled cautiously into bed. Edward was turned around, presumably already trying to sleep.

The fire cast long, flickering shadows over the both of them, and Oswald openly stared at the flecks of orange and gold that danced all over Ed's unkempt hair. After a minute he sighed quietly and turned over on his side to face the wall. At least he could dream that they were something more.