My Work Is Done

It took some convincing, but Oswald managed to get Jim to drive him back to Ed's apartment before they parted ways. But as soon as he was out of the car Jim stepped on the gas and tore off, desperate to escape Gotham with Lee before the focus turned on him. Oswald didn't mind; he didn't have anywhere to go that was better than simply vanishing in the streets. But first, he had to visit Edward Nygma.

He pulled his fur coat tighter about him and hurried inside; keeping his head down in case anyone inside recognized him. The fewer witnesses there were to his latest whereabouts, the better. Luckily he didn't meet anyone on his way there and breathed a sigh of relief when he made it to the eighth floor without incident. Whatever happened to him he could take, so long as he thanked Ed for what he'd done to help.

Oswald wasn't sure why he was so determined to see him again. Sure the man had saved his life; given him a nice place to stay for no particular reason and did a lot to help him after the unbearable loss of his mother, but he had never shown kindness to people that had done that before. Even when Jim spared his life he didn't do anything in particular to thank him for it. Heck, he had denied his only request; that he leave Gotham forever.

But he felt different about Nygma, somehow. He wanted to make sure that Ed knew he was safe, at least so far. And somehow he knew that if Ed had made the same request for him to leave Gotham, he might have obeyed his wishes. Was it because he no longer had his mother or a growing empire tying him down to this city? He didn't think that was the case, and the idea scared him. Why did he—the widely feared Penguin—want to go out of his way just to thank someone for helping him, and why would he be willing to leave this city if he asked? Someone who had annoyed him from the very beginning, no less. But Ed hadn't asked, so he ignored the thought.

After a short while he arrived at the oddly familiar door and suddenly felt nervous. Was he really willing to be that vulnerable? Was he really going to admit that someone had helped him, and that he appreciated his help? Looking back on his time at Ed's, he realized suddenly that he had behaved rather childishly the whole time. The thought made him very self-conscious as he knocked three times on the heavy door, listening to the metal ring beneath his fist and echo quietly throughout the hallway.

It wasn't long before he heard footsteps shuffling closer to the door, and remembered suddenly that it was just past midnight. But of course he didn't care that much if he woke Ed up. At least, that's what he told himself. And yet it came as a relief to him when Ed slid the door open to reveal that he was wearing all of his normal clothing and apparently wide awake.

"Mr. Penguin? I wasn't expecting to hear back from you," Ed asked in obvious surprise. Then he frowned. "Is something wrong? Did Galavan get away?"

Oswald allowed a small smile as he answered, "No, Ed, I killed him. Or Jim did, anyway."

Why did he so readily admit that James Gordon had killed Galavan? He had already agreed to take the fall for Galavan's murder. Hopefully no harm done.

"James Gordon kill-"

"Not so loud!" Oswald hissed, glancing around to make sure no one was around to hear.

Ed nodded once in understanding. "Right, of course. Would you like to come in to talk about it?"

Oswald had no idea why he nodded.

"No one's supposed to know," Oswald began to explain once Ed had closed the door. "He likely would have died of the injuries I gave him...but James Gordon pulled the trigger."

"Why are you telling me this?" Ed asked with an intrigued expression on his face.

For that Oswald had no answer. But he replied calmly, "You were concerned with the events of tonight and I'm doing my best to explain. Bruce Wayne was also saved, if you were wondering."