Chapter 2

Sam's POV

I woke up in a very unfamiliar environment. It took a couple of minutes for me to sink in that I'm in a real room and in a real bed.

I heard a faint knock on the door but I just acted as if I was still asleep. Momentarily, the door opened and I felt a shift in my bed.

"Hey sweetheart..." It was my aunt. She caressed the hairs in front of my face. I did not move and continued my act. "Time to wake up... It's your first day of school."

It was then that I dropped my act and stared directly at her. My aunt Tina's eyes were full on sincerity and concern. I knew she's worried about my state but I can't help it. It's whom I became.

She placed a tender kiss on my forehead and smiled a gentle smile. "I'll be down and make breakfast. Come down soon and I'll accompany you in your school." I nodded and began to walk towards the bathroom which was located outside at the end of the hall if I remembered correctly. Actually... I don't doubt my memory since I was special. I got an eidetic memory... I never forget.

School. I shivered at the thought. This was my first day in coming back to school after four years. My family of three suffered a major traumatic experience that robbed me of everything.

My father worked in a bank. My father was the manager while my mother was a simple house wife. One very unfaithful day... my 12th birthday to be exact... my mother and I went to visit my father at work during lunch as an early celebration. It had been our tradition to eat lunch together especially during birthdays.

It was the exact unfaithful day that three robbers had decided to rob the bank. On that unfaithful day... those three did not just robbed the bank. They also robbed me of my parents and my future.

After I was done preparing for school, I went down and saw my aunt already eating her breakfast. I'm not used to eating breakfast but to be polite, I just grabbed a toast and sipped a little coffee.

"You need to cheer up a little Sam." She said as she noticed me eating the toast with no emotions at all. "Please say something... Anything... " She begged but I remain the same.

After I finished my toast I just stared at the table as I ignored the food. I still do not have any appetite at all. If it was possible not to eat then I'll gladly skipped it. My lack of nutrition was the reason that my body was too thin for a teen ager. I don't have a single muscle, my skin was pale and there were bags under my eyes due to lack of sleep.

My aunt seemed to notice that I don't plan to eat anymore therefore she motioned me to follow her in the car.

She drove me to school and went to the principal with me whom gave me my schedule.

Great! My first subject was english and english means literature which means a lot of recitation. I just hope my aunt explained my condition to the staff.

"Follow me Sam." I heard Mr. Parker. Oh well... Here goes nothing. I followed him as my aunt bid me goodbye. She'll fetch me also after school.

As we entered the classroom, I still didn't feel anything. No excitement, no joy, no fear. None at all. That was until my eyes met hers. For the first time in years, I felt something... I don't know what it was... but it's better than nothing.