Chapter XLVIII - This I Pledge to You

Start from the beginning

A very good looking group of two men and three women come up to meet us. Lycans.

"Constantine," says a gorgeous man who looks like he's in his mid-twenties. He approaches us with an outstretched hand.

"Sullivan," replies Constantine casually taking the man's hand in his. The man fondly and playfully slaps his back with familiarity.

"We are all King's loyal and humble subjects eager to meet his nephew's beautiful mate," he turns his attention to me. "I've known Constantine since he was just a little troublemaker," he grins.

"Still is," I mumble and the man lets out a hearty laugh.

"We consider them close family friends. They've been working for us for centuries," remarks Constantine to me after he made the introduction.

"King Alexandros and your grandmother must be eager to meet your lovely mate soon," suggests one of the ladies. Oh, crazy bunnies!!! I never thought about meeting his family!

We are then lead into a beautiful private room where Caspian, Lazarus, and Serena are already waiting.

As soon as they left, Serena leaps up and quickly engulfs me in a big hug. "You are truly and totally one of us now," she exclaims. "You're a Romanov!"

"Finally!" jumps in Caspian while Lazarus pounds Constantine's back enthusiastically. I can feel my cheeks burning up. Oh, for the love of everything fuzzy!!! How did everyone know??? I could dig a hole, crawl in and hide inside it forever!

As soon as Serena releases me Caspian wraps his massive arms around me and twirls me around happily. I guess his ire for me this morning is all forgotten now.

Constantine growls warningly and Caspian put me down on my feet right away, grinning widely.

Constantine's big strong arms pull me against his muscled chest as soon as my feet touch the ground.

"Now the celebration," announces Lazarus.

I guess this is like marriage to humans. Only markings hold more meaning to us. Once we've marked each other, we are forever connected. We leave a mark forever, not only on each other's skin but also on each other's soul. Entwining our souls together. One cannot survive with only half a soul. One cannot live without the other for too long.

We sometimes hold a wedding ceremony just for the formality or for the celebration, and as an announcement of our union. The true vow of our union is in our mating and marking, which is just between the two of us.

"How'd you know?" I manage to ask.

"We felt the connection as soon as you're marked," answers Serena.

"Nothing is private around here," I sigh. Oh, well...so much for going into the mountains, far away from civilization for privacy.

"Oh, be thankful, love. Hundreds of years ago they used to have the mating and the marking ceremony out in the open field beside big bonfires with pack members in attendance," remarks Caspian gleefully ruffling my hair.

"Ewww..." I wrinkle my nose in disgust swatting his hand away.

"Prude," mutters Caspian, with a smirk.

"Shut up!" I reply.

"We'd better separate these two before they start a food fight or something," suggests Lazarus. "I don't know what everybody wants, so I ordered us a small buffet."

Ahhh...food!!! Now I notice a table covered in a pristine white damask table cloth, laden with delectable food at the far end of the room. That's where the smell comes from. A lavish buffet just for the five of us. I think I'm so hungry, I suddenly developed a tunnel vision. I can see nothing else but food. Oh food, how I missed you...