13: The Boy That Came Back

a/n: Short chapter again. Oops.

==>

I'm in the middle of English class when my phone lights up. The teacher is too busy going over run-on sentences to notice me reach down into my bag and fish out my phone. I have to bite my tongue to keep from exclaiming when I see his name light up my screen.

I hope you didn't think you were going to get rid of me that easily, pretty girl.

Followed by another message.

P.S. Now would be a good time for a bathroom break. Don't you think so?

I drop my phone back into my bag. My hand shoots up, and the professor sighs and looks right at me. "Yes, Ms. Hynes?" she addresses me.

"Please, I need to go to the restroom. This is an emergency. Please. I promise I won't ask again--" I start to ramble on.

She waves her hand and twists her face in annoyance. "Yes, fine, go. Just hurry up and quit interrupting class," she replies.

I stand from my seat and scurry out of the classroom. I take off running down the hallway towards the bathroom. When I turn the corner, I see the door to the bathroom there, but I don't see Roman. Then, I hear it.

"Hey there, pretty girl."

I whip my head around and see Roman by the side door that leads out of the school. I smile at him and hurry down the stairs, wrapping my arms around him. He lifts me up and holds me tightly. He puts me back down, but we don't let go of each other. He looks rested, and the bandage is no longer there. I reach up and cup his face, brushing my thumb across his cheek.

"I win," he whispers to me.

I bite my lip, trying to stop myself from laughing. "You're so full of yourself, you know that?" I reply.

He smirks. "I'd say the same thing about you."

"And that would be a lie, and you know it!" I exclaim softly.

He rolls his eyes and starts to back away, walking for the door.

"Hey!" I call out to him.

He turns back and looks at me from over his shoulder. "What?"

"You've just gotten here. Where are you going?"

He sighs and sticks his hands in his pockets, walking back towards me and towering over me. "I'm going to have to do something that's...dangerous, to say the least, and I knew my pretty girl deserved to see me." He reaches up and caresses my cheek.

"What's going on, Roman?"

He looks down at me and brushes his knuckles against my cheek. I wrap my fingers around his forearm, and look for his eyes.

"You can tell me," I whisper. "Please, tell me. I can try to help."

He shakes his head, still avoiding eye contact. "It's best if I don't. You wouldn't understand."

I hook my fingers under his chin and stand on my toes, pressing my lips to his. When we break apart, I look up at him with serious eyes. "Try me."

I see a pained look on his face, lines form on his forehead, and the bags under his eyes are evident. He caresses my face again and finally kisses me back, wrapping his arm around my lower back and pulling me in close. I clutch the lapel of his coat, unable to focus on anything other than the fact that his lips are on mine.

He breaks apart from me, and I can see it. It saddens him to let me go, to not tell me what's going on.

"What is it?" I ask. "Do you not trust me?"

He holds my hand loosely, as if he's just on the verge of letting go. He looks down at our fingers and says, "I can't trust anyone."

I frown, and hesitate, afraid to say what's on my mind. But I say it anyway. "Am I going to see you again?"

He plasters a smirk on his face. "You're not getting rid of me that easily."

I look behind me; the hallway is still empty, but I've been gone for more than a few minutes at this point.

"Go," he tells me, "You're missing class."

"Fuck class," I say, then the both of us laugh.

"I've changed you, and I don't know if it's for the better."

I smile. "I can only hope that I've done the same."

"I think you have," he replies.

"I'm not supposed to see you, you know."

He raises an eyebrow. "Why?"

"I came to see you the other day. Your mom threw me out. Shelley...took off her wig, and your mom...she thought I was making fun of her. Then she told me I wasn't allowed to see you or your sister again."

"She's just a bitch," he says, making a face of disgust, "You don't need to listen to her. After all of this is over," he pauses as he brushes a piece of hair out of my face, "you're coming over for dinner, and she can get the chance to really meet you."

I smile. "I'd like that."

He smiles back at me. Then, he lets go of my hand, his touch still lingering. "I have to go."

I quickly peck him on the lips one last time. "Be careful. Will you just...let me know if everything is okay?"

"Of course," he replies. Then he turns on his heel and walks out the door.