1: The Boy With The Weird Presence

I know him. Everybody knows him. Hell, his family owns Hemlock Grove. You can't go anywhere without seeing their skyscraper that looks like it was built for New York City.

I know where I stand with him. The others can't seem to take the hint. All he wants is a pretty girl with big boobs and a mouth. I pity the girls who try their hardest to be noticed by him, wearing shirts that are too low cut and skirts that show more skin than they cover.

So when I open my locker and see him walking down the hallway out of the corner of my eye, I don't think twice about it. This is normal. He's headed for class just the same as me -- only I have a stop to make first. That's how it goes everyday.

We have exchanged glances, but only on rare occasion. The most that I've heard out of him is the swapping of spit with some girl in the hallway. He shares none of my classes -- thank God. The only time I ever see him is times like now and in the cafeteria.

My phone buzzes, and I look down for just a moment. Then I hear a thud on the locker door next to me. I look up and over and see him standing there. This isn't right. He should have left the hallway by now. "And what have I done to be graced by the presence of Roman Godfrey?" I ask sarcastically.

"Do I know you?" he asks me.

I put my phone back in my bag and start grabbing my books. "Don't know why you would," I reply. "It's not like we haven't gone to school together for the past four years."

He chuckles and smiles down at the ground. He looks back up at me and gives me a smoldering look, trying to seem cool -- a trick that seems to work on just about every girl in this school for some reason. "Well, then please, let me introduce myself," he says.

"No need," I cut him off, "I already know who you are."

"Now that's just unfair."

I freeze for a moment and finally make eye contact. I raise an eyebrow. "I'm sorry?"

"I don't know how I couldn't have noticed a girl as beautiful as yourself." He smirks, showing some teeth as he does so.

I roll my eyes and turn my attention back to my locker. "What do you want, Roman?" I ask. I shut my locker door and lean up against it, praying for this conversation to go by quickly. He probably just wants me to do some of his homework or end things with whichever girl he's sleeping with this week.

He snorts. "That's a bit harsh, don't you think?"

"Let's see, this is the first time we've ever spoken in the four years that I've known you, so I have to assume you want something. What makes me think that you wouldn't?"

He shrugs. "Maybe I just think that you're pretty."

I give him a tight-lipped smile. "Maybe you think I'm an idiot." I start to walk away when he wraps his fingers around my bicep. I'm pulled back up against the lockers -- quite forcefully too.

"I get the feeling you don't like me," he says with an odd smile.

"I'm sure that's a new feeling for you," I mutter.

He frowns.

I frown back as I force myself out of his grasp. "I'm about to be late for class. There better be a good reason for it."

"Why are you hanging around Shelley?" he asks.

My jaw drops. "Are you serious? This couldn't wait?"

"I'm looking out for my sister." Then he pauses. "Also, I do happen to think that you're pretty."

I snort and look away, avoiding eye contact. My cheeks flush a little. "Oh, you cannot be serious right now."

"What?"

I look back at him. "I actually like your sister. I don't have some 'secret agenda.' I'm not going to try and embarrass her, alright? You've got nothing to worry about." I start to walk away again, and Roman doesn't pull me back this time.

The bell rings, and I pick up my speed.

"I still haven't gotten your name, pretty girl," Roman calls out to me.

"You're late!" I call back.