2: The Boy With Persistence

Three o'clock comes and so does the bell to let us out. I walk through the hallways, trying to get to my locker. However, when I get to my hallway, I see Roman just around the corner. He's standing in front of my locker, waiting for me.

He messes with his hair then looks down at his watch. His eyes glance up and down the hallway, looking around for what I only assume to be me. Five minutes pass, and he still hasn't moved. When I reach the conclusion that he won't leave until he sees me, I reluctantly come out of hiding and shuffle towards my locker.

When he sees me, a smirk forms on his lips, but he doesn't move.

"Haven't you bothered me enough today?" I ask, avoiding eye contact.

"You never gave me your name," he replies.

"If I tell you, will you leave me alone?"

He pouts. "Now that's not very nice."

"Answer the question, Roman."

His face goes back to its original expression. "Name."

I sigh and open my locker, digging through it to grab my belongings. "I don't understand this sudden interest you have in me, and quite frankly, it worries me."

He raises an eyebrow. "It worries you? Well, at least I know that I've been on your mind."

I flash him a glare as he smiles down at me. "Only you, Godfrey."

"That can be taken so many different ways, pretty girl," he says in a low voice.

I groan. "Oh, you pig!" I exclaim. I stuff my books into my bag and slam my locker door shut, storming off, but Roman is hot on my heels. I look over my shoulder and see him following behind me. "You never know when to quit, do you?"

"Did I say something wrong?" he asks loudly.

I turn around on my heel and my hair flips behind me. "What is your deal? Yesterday, you didn't even glance in my direction. Now, all of a sudden, you're making innuendos towards me."

He stands there and stares at me for a moment.

"Well?!"

"All I want is a name."

"This is about so much more than a name."

He rolls his eyes. "Oh, fine, you caught me. All I want is to get into your pants. Is that the answer you wanted to hear?"

I smile. "Was that so hard to admit? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have places to be!" I start to leave when his fingers wrap around my bicep again. "Would you quit doing that?!" I snap at him.

"Would you just give me your damn name?!" he snaps back at me.

"I know that the idea of rejection might be a foreign concept to you, but you should take this as a big hint. The answer is NO!" I try to pull away, but his grip tightens this time.

"Alright, fine. Go to dinner with me then."

I laugh loudly. "Dude, for real?!"

"Are you stupid?!"

My eyes widen. "Wow! You have the whole English language to your advantage, and yet, you use that word. Nicely done, Godfrey!"

He moves closer to me, towering over me. Yet, I don't cower in his shadow.

"You think you can intimidate me into getting what you want. Sorry, pal, not gonna happen." I bring my knee up and knee him in the groin. His grip loosens quickly and he bends over, groaning in pain.

"O-o-h!" he exclaims.

I pull a loose strand of hair out of my mouth. "Don't lay your hands on me again," I say firmly.

He takes a deep breath and collects himself, chuckling.

I glare at him. "What?"

"I like you," he says, pointing at me with that weird grin on his face.

"Well, I really don't like you."

"I'll get you to say yes one day. Just you wait."

I give him an exasperated look. "Whatever helps you sleep at night." I begin walking away again.

"You know, I would sleep really well after a night out with you," he says, continuing to follow me. "Just think, you and me, a candle-lit dinner, followed by a nice dessert, and a trip back to my place."

"And I'm sure the trip back to your place involves less clothes," I add.

"Look at that. You're pretty and smart."

I smile as I stop and turn to face him. He looks down at me with the same grin on his face. "And do you honestly think that I would even consider having sex with you?" I ask softly.

He smirks as he takes a step closer to me. "You put up a fight now, but I figure you'll give in to your desires eventually."

"Hm, 'desires.' He does know some big words," I say, nodding my head.

He laughs. "So, your name?"

"I'm a virgin," I say.

His expression doesn't change. "Interesting name," he replies.

"Isn't that a bit...off-putting for you?" I ask, squinting my eyes at him.

"Not one bit."

"You really are desperate," I say.

"Pft. I could get any of these pathetic girls to sleep with me any time I wanted -- half the time, they're practically begging for me."

"Then why me?" I ask, smirking.

"Because you're the only one who isn't begging," he says softly. His breath blows over my face; he smells vaguely of cigarettes, a bit of booze, and some strange cologne.

"Then what's your plan, Roman? Are you going to make me beg?"

He smirks. "How could I do that when you won't even give me your name?"

I back away. "It's fun to watch you squirm."

"You're going to give in. I know you will."

"Piss off, Roman."

"I love you too!" he exclaims sarcastically.

I hold my middle finger up high as I walk out of the school's double doors, leaving Roman standing in the middle of the hallway by himself.