"We won't be there for long, I promise." He said softer. I just sighed and nodded. He reached for my hand. I placed mine in his and he gave it a squeeze. 

The rest of the car ride was filled with small talk and laughter.
It took about ten minutes to get there this time.

Nate stepped out of the car and my car door was opened by a man.
He reached for my hand and I took it. "Thank you." I said softly.
Nate joined me at the head of the car, and he escorted me to the house.

The door was automatically opened by a maid. I said hello and she smiled before stepping aside.

"Oh Nate, you're here!" The voice of his mother rang through my ears. Just smile.

"Hey mom." He said as he enveloped her into a hug. She patted his back before letting me go. "Mom, you met Kathryn before." Nate said, motioning towards me. He stepped back and put an arm around my waist.

She just eyed me before putting on a smile. "Why yes, indeed." She let out a laugh. "How could I forget? Your the little girl who's going to marry my son." She smiled.

Little girl?

"Hey, dinner's ready." Nate's father came up to us. "Kathryn!" He said excitedly before pulling my into a hug. "Oh!" I say in surprise. He let go of me and have a big smile. Well at least someone seems happy to see me...

"How have you been?" He asked.
"I've been great, thank you. And you?" I ask. He shrugs. "I've been alright. You look beautiful, by the way." He complemented.

"Care Nate, your father's trying to steal your girl." She joked. We all laughed. "Well let's not make the dinner cold." His mother said.
She guided the way to the dining room.

Nate pulled a chair out and I sat down, thanking him. He sat down next to me and his parents sat on the opposite side, his mother right across from me.

The maids opened our dishes for us, revealing... I don't even know what this is. Fish?
The smell just makes me sick.
It makes me want to puke.

I feel a pair of eyes on me and I look up to see his mother staring at me. "Something wrong?" She asks. "No." I lied. "Why aren't you eating?" She asked. "Mom." Nate says. He then puts a hand on my thigh.

"What kind of whine would you like?" She then asks. "Um no wine for me. I'll just take water." I say.

"So how's work coming along, Dad?" Nate asks, changing the subject. I'm too distracted by the smell to understand their conversation.
"Kathryn?" I blink quickly.
"Yes?" I ask, oblivious to the conversation. 
"Are you still working for Nate?" His father asked.

"No." I said.  "Oh what happened?" He asked. I cleared my throat. "Uh-"   "It was just inappropriate to date one of my workers." He cuts me off. I just give a tight smile.

"So what do you work as?" His mother asked me. "Well I was a waitress at a local restaurant. Then I quit." I told her.

"Interesting." She gave s tight smile.

One hour later. . .

Everyone was still conversing about business so I just sat at listened.

"You still haven't touched your food."

"I wasn't that hungry." I told her.

"Can I talk to you Kathryn? Alone?" She asked. I looked over at Nate who gave me a reassuring nod. I mentally rolled my eyes.
"Yeah sure." I say as I got up. "Excuse us." She said as we left the table.

She lead me into the kitchen which was down the hall.

She had a glass of wine and tried giving it to me but I just shake my head.

"When do you plan on marrying my son?" She asked.
"I'm not sure yet. I haven't really figured everything out yet." I say and she nods.

"Are you pregnant?" She asks randomly. I gape at her then close my mouth. "What makes you think that?" I asked.

"You looked sick when you saw what was on your plate. Plus you never had any alcohol beverages." She said it like was obvious.
After a while, I nodded.

She gasped. "Really? That's amazing." She smiled. I was suddenly scared by her change in mood. "You're not... mad?" I asked, confusion stringing in my voice.

"No. Why would I be mad? I'm gonna be a grandmother." She sighed.

I was still in shock.

"Look, I know I came on harsh the first time we met, but all these girls were gold diggers and they broke his heart. I was just being protective. But you, you came through. I have a feeling I can trust you now." She took a sip of her wine. 

"Thank you. That means a lot." I say honestly.

"I'm guessing my husband is the only one who is unaware?" She says and I nod. "Yeah. When I told Nate he was... happy, excited is the word." I smile, remembering his face.

"Well we should tell him then."
She said with a big smile. We walked back and I see that Nate's face is red. Why was he blushing so hard?

"Are you alright?" I asked as I sat next to him. He nodded. "Yeah,
I'm fine. Just having a typical conversation with my dad." He said and I smiled. I then leaned in closer. "Why are you so beautiful?" He whispered to me.
I couldn't answer because I kissed my lips, making me blush myself.

"How cute." His mother cooed.

"Kathryn and I have something to tell you guys." Nate started.