Chapter Ten: Flooded

Start from the beginning

After she finished showing me around I quickly get to work spanning the next few hours. There was only one objective; fill it up to the brim with jubilee!

I spent hours on end struggling and learning and serving juice and smoothies. Suddenly fruit stopped smelling so good, the scent was giving me a headache.

"New guy! You can take your break." Katrina says with a wide eyed nod. I look down at my watch, surprised on how the day has passed so quickly.

I finish up, handing the customer their drinks. Just as I'm about to take off towards the break room I hear a shrill voice.

"Hey, juice boy! I thought you were fruity before, I'm glad you decided to make a career out of it."

I clench my fists harder than Arthur. "Danny," I smile forcibly. "What can I get you?" I hadn't even had time to think about him since I was getting my life together. He reminded me that I was a pussy and I needed to get my best friend back.

I rush back to the register, he was propped against the counter like he owned the place.

"I would like to get a bottle of water." He blinks.

Why come to a juice bar to get a water? I mentally roll my eyes.

"Your total is a dollar fifty, coming right up." He swipe his card pivoting to grab a bottle from the fridge.

"Will that be all for you?" I purse my lips.

"It's not cold enough." He complains, despite the fact that there was condensation on the bottle.

"It just came out of the fridge, have a Jubilee day!" I say with a pinch of irritation.

He unscrews the cap. "Does this feel cold to you?" He squeezes the bottle, it erupts, spraying cold water in my face.

I stand there in awe for a moment as bystanders turn to gawk at me. I was now fuming.

"The water wasn't cold." Danny shrugs walking out the door with a satisfied stride. I glare as he waves through the glass window.

Katrina comes rushing over. "Are you okay?" She asks worriedly, taking me to the break room.

"I'm fine. I'm really sorry about the trouble." I mutter sheepishly as I take off my glasses wiping them down with a paper towel.

"It's not your fault, people are disrespectful, but that seemed a little personal." She frowns handing me a large grey hoodie from her own locker. "Thank you." I say solemnly.

"You've got lunch so relax." She pats me on the shoulder and starts to work.

I collapse onto the sofa in the break room wondering to myself why people act like that. Insecurity maybe? Hatred for what they don't understand?

I wish I had more courage. To stand up to Danny AND Corbin. Confrontation is scary. Whenever people attack me I freeze. Maybe I deserve it.

Beyond now is a later. Some will see the later with eyes beyond, while others are stuck in the now.

My mother.

I smile softly to myself as I create a new organized schedule on my calendar. After my break ends, full of energy, I head back to work.

-----------
Kody's POV

I really wanted an orange smoothie.