Hammer Meets Steel

Sirena grabs Jaren's hand. He pulls Sirena up. "I believe my clothes should be done by now. You can come with me or head on home. Your choice," Jaren says hoping she will follow.

"I think I shall leave. I have something to do," Sirena answered as she walked away.

"I thought you said you didn't have anything to do," Jaren asked as Sirena walked away. Puzzled Jaren walks to Mark's.

What was that all about? I wonder where she went. And, she just left so mysteriously.

Once inside, Jaren collects his clothes and apron. Jaren bids Mark farewell. Now at the smithy, Jaren puts on his new apron and starts work. After the completion of two swords, Haimont said "That's plenty lad. I'm more interested in how the date went."

Jaren stammers, "W w wa wait wh what? How did you know about that?"

Haimont's laugh echoes across the town.

Still stammering Jaren says, "N no, really?"

"Ah, lad. I am friends with Mark and Harogar," Haimont replied, "Not to mention the townsfolk were talkin' 'bout it."

Jaren slaps his head embarrassed, "Uh, well, I guess it went well."

"Don't worry lad. She's a pretty young lass."

Jaren and Haimont walked side by side into the house. Dinner was on the table. Everyone ate happily. After cleaning up, Jaren and everyone else retired to their rooms.

Man, she is something else. She is gorgeous, smart and mostly mysterious. Does anyone else see the mystery in her? I feel there's more to her than meets the eye.

The rest of the week flew on by. Jaren averaged three swords a day. Each day the progress was visible. The quality was near that of Haimont's and matching Harold's. After that week, Jaren journeyed back and forth to and from New Rustion. The extra exercise kept Jaren in top shape.

A week later Jaren arrives at the smithy and Haimont nor Harold is there. Jaren shouts, "Hey miss Elle? Do you know where Haimont is?"

"Haimont went to the guard barracks. He had to deliver some swords and he also said something about a new lesson for you," said Elle.

"Thank you ma'am," Jaren said as he walked away. On the way to the barracks Jaren searches for Sirena but does not spot her.

I wonder where she has been. It's been awhile since I saw her last.

Haimont is standing and talking to another man, around Jaren's height and stout, when Jaren spots them. Haimont is speaking to the man, "Lad sure is strong and talented." The man spots Jaren and points at him saying, "This your apprentice?"

"Aye, that'd be him. We must have be talkin' longer than we thought," Haimont said to the man. Haimont then speaks to Jaren, "Hey lad, this here is Ranz. He is the head of the New Rustion Guard. He is quite interested in ya lad."

Speaking to Ranz, Jaren says, "I'm Jaren. Though, I believe you knew that already. It's nice to meet you." Ranz and Jaren shake hands.

Ranz looks at Jaren and says "Haimont and I were just talking about you maybe coming to train with me at the barracks when your apprenticeship is over. How's that sound?"

Jaren responds, "Fine by me. I would love to use the weapons I create. Oh, and Haimont, what's this about a new lesson."

"We actually need to get on that soon. So we will see you again Ranz. It was nice talking," said Haimont.

On the way back, Haimont begins to explain the lesson, "See this lesson isn't much different. Just, when you get good with the casted swords it's time to truly become a blacksmith. Instead of melting the iron or steel and pouring into a cast, we   make bars of the steel or iron. From there you heat it and beat it into shape. Doing it this way no two swords are ever the same and it reflects the creator. But, now you see why we have bars of steel all over the place. There is also forge welding. This is difficult even for me. It's taking atleast two pieces and making them into one. This is done by heating the two or more pieces together and beating them into one. But, if they aren't flush it won't weld."

"Okay, I will do the normal forging. I don't know about the welding thing," Jaren said hesitantly.

Haimont and Jaren arrive at the smithy, while Jaren puts on his apron Haimont pulls out one of the bars. Jaren tosses it into forge, and once it is almost orange he grabs it with the tongs. After placing the steel on the anvil and holding it with the tongs, Jaren grabs the mid-sized hammer. As hammer meets steel countless times, the shape of a sword is drawn out slowly after heating and reheating many times. The hammer falls and a loud clang reverberates. Every swing of the hammer makes Jaren perspire. As the muscles in Jaren's arms cramp and ache the sword is finally shaped and ready for quenching.

Haimont claps in approval of the blade, as Jaren draws it from the barrel. Jaren wipes the blade clean, hands it to Haimont. "Well done lad, couldn't have expected any better. Actually exceeded what I thought ye could do," said Haimont approvingly. With a raw blade with only a tang in hand Haimont calls out to Harold.

Harold sets into sight, "Aye, pa?" Seeing the sword he knew what his father was about to say. Harold says to Jaren, "Ah, so pa wants me to show you how to sharpen a blade. I've been doing this since I was a wee lad. Pa would call me out and show me. Even before the raid I had known. It has become sort of a specialty."

Jaren smiles, "well teacher, I await your instructions."

Harold shrugs, then walks to the grinding wheel and ushers Jaren to come forth. "This is the grinding wheel, ya push down on this peddle to turn the wheel. Once it's spinning at a decent pace ya place the blades edge against it. There are a few motions ye can use to get it nice and clean. This is where you clean up any cracks, if you can. Sometimes ye just can't grind them out," Harold instructed. Harold then showed Jaren the different motions, and ways to get the cleanest blade out of the grind.

Once the blade was ready to send to the barracks there was one last piece missing. Haimont took the blade and showed Jaren how to put a simple wooden handle on the blade to finally make it a complete sword. Jaren grabbed a scabbard and fit the sword inside. Once in the scabbard the sword was placed in a cart to haul to the barracks. Jaren, now exhausted, looked at Haimont and said "well that was a work out, how many do you and Harold normally do in a day?"

"Five in a day is the most we have done, he would prepare the scabbard, handle, and get ready to grind while I worked on forging the blade. On average we get three blades a day. Yer first day is always tough lad, with just an ingot ya swing the hammer more. Bet ya arm is tired from this today" Haimont said.

"Yes sir, my arm is weak. But, I enjoy the process. Turning a raw piece of metal into an instrument of death and destruction, but leaving enough beauty that it is attractive," Jaren replied, "That's what makes it such an awe inspiring experience. Mind if i stay at your house tonight?"

  "Aye lad, well best we rest for the remainder of the day. Don't want to wear you out too bad. Of course ya can stay," Haimont said as he ushered Jaren inside. The family sits down and relaxes for a minute near the fireplace, sitting on the floor watching the fire and absorbing the heat.

The fire dances around in joy, it spreads it's excitement to the nearby logs. As the beautiful red and orange dancers consume the logs inside the hearth Jaren loses himself in thought.

It crackles, it burns, it consumes, it eats, it breathes in and out, always in motion. If it stops moving it will die. It can't stop moving if  it has food. But, once the food is gone then it dies leaving only ashes to remember it by. The beauty of fire is all of that, it's near living and still proves nature wins the battles. With the help of fire we live, we cause destruction, and use it to create weapons that cause destruction. Fire it is the equalizer of man.

Suddenly memories of the raid flood through Jaren and nearly makes him faint.

Buildings all around are catching fire, the fire is consuming houses, families and memories. I'm running, fire is all around me. I'm not running fast enough. The fires grow larger. I'll get to you mom and dad. I run faster and faster. I trip anbd the fire surrounds me like starving hounds looking at its prey. I'm surrounded, no where to go and the fire creeps up to me. The fire covers me...

Jaren snaps out of his daydream, looking a little disturbed. Jaren stretches a bit. Haimont places a hand on his shoulder and lightly rubs his back. This gentle giant had a soothing touch that calmed Jaren with ease.