(5) Let Me Reassure You

(5)

    I didn't know what to think. I didn't know what to do. I just didn't know... how this was possible. My mind tried to wrap my mind around the fact that maybe Samantha was right, but it couldn't. There just had to be an explanation.

The cold air hit against my skin as we all stood outside watching, waiting, for what would happen to Daniel Cayne. Dane. Brent and Kane were muttering angrily behind me the entire time, talking about how unfair this was and that they didn't have any proof that he was the one who stole the necklace.

But yet here he was.

Cuffed and bound, walking angrily behind the policeman and woman. The man held a phone to his ear while the woman stood with her hands in her pockets.

"Yes, sir, we're taking him into custody now," I heard the policeman state as he walked past us. As they walk down the long stretch, Dane turns to look at me, his eyes glimmering in the nightlight. In anger, but yet in shame. I matched his gaze with a thoughtful expression and I saw his expression drop.

"I didn't do this, baby doll," his frown caused my heart to ache for some reason, his eyes begging for me to believe him. But how could I? How could I when the necklace was found in his pocket. His.

I saw him string out a sigh as he followed the police to the car. I watched him walk away, his words replaying in my head.

I didn't do this, baby doll.

I wanted to believe him, I really did, but what else could I have done? I knew his reputation, and I knew he had a past that he didn't like speaking about, but it seems like history continues to repeat itself. Dane would always be the bad boy, a criminal as some may say, and I would be the good girl who's naive enough to believe him.

But I wanted to.

I wanted to.

It was like fighting with my mind and my heart. My mind wanted to follow the facts: the necklace was found in his pocket and that was that. He's been in this situation before. He was guilty. He would be guilty. My mind directed itself to the logical route. However, my heart took a detour. My heart told me this wasn't the boy who would wait on my countless times in the library, just because he could; my heart told me that this wasn't the boy who took me to meet his grandfather - someone he cherished simply because he was the only link to his real family; my heart told me this wasn't the boy who asked my permission to kiss me just because I told him I wanted us to be just friends. Bad boy Dane wouldn't have asked, he would've taken.

And that's how I knew.

***

"What am I supposed to do?" I asked Teana as we stood by the foyer. I could hear Brent, Kian, and Penelope whispering amongst themselves from across the room, but right now I just needed to talk to my best friend.

"I don't know," she replied, her expression mustering into one of dismay, "I mean... it was inside his pocket."

This is just all too confusing... there must have been some explanation. He was with me the entire night.

Or was he?

"Guys!" she heard Penelope exclaim, "It's already over Snapchat and Instagram!" then she released a groan, "My mom's going to be furious when she picks Dane up."

The buzzing of my phone alerted me back to where I stood. I peered down at the screen, not recognizing the number flashing. Nevertheless, I picked it up after the third ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey, baby doll,"

It was him.

His voice, even so far away, gave me butterflies in my stomach. No matter how I tried, I couldn't stop the blush that flooded my cheeks. Shock evaded my thoughts, thinking of why he would be calling me when just half an hour ago he had been dragged away by the police. Surely he had more pressing matters to attend to.

"I know you're confused right now, but I need you to help me,"

Help him?

"Why would I help you?"

How could I? I just didn't understand. What could I have done to help him? Was there something I was missing? Maybe I should give the phone to Penelope...

I heard him let out a sigh before continuing, "I didn't do this, baby doll. Please believe me," muffled voices interrupted him before he spoke again, "look, I don't have much time. The house is wired with cameras - Penelope knows that. Is she still there? Tell her about the cameras. Tell hr to find out who did this."

And with that, he hung up, leaving me gaping at the blank screen. 

I tried processing everything that he said, the especially the cameras. They could help us get to the bottom of this once and for all. His notification left me with two questions.

Would I help him?

Should I?

~~~~~

Copyright © Ashleigh Parkers 2017