Strange signals

No POV
The decepticon drones had been digging in these mines for years it was quickly becoming less fruitful of energon so they were ordered to dig deeper into the earth's crust for the last remaining crystals.
One drone while digging broken into a secret cavern that was  very large but almost bare in the centre of the cavern was a large clump of energon crystals that surrounded a small football sized metal ball. The drone scanned the centre piece apart of procedure to prevent harvesting contaminated energon the scan completed but the drone detected a small life signal. The drone knew his supiriors would need to see this.
"Decepticon to base I have discovered a life signal eminating from a metal ball surrounded by energon crystals how should I proceed?" The drone reported.
The drone tried to pri the ball from out between the crystals but it wouldn't budge starscream answered soon after.
"Your discovery is acknowledged take it to the surface for transport and examination." The second in command huffed in an annoyed tone.
Using a small lazer to separate the entire lump of crystals from the stone below and carried it through the tunnels heading for the surface. Explosions shook the walls and the drones stopped working and moved to intercept threat the drone carried the lump out the back exit tunnel with several other drones to complete the orders given. On the surface the drone began to request a ground bridge when bulkhead took his head off with one shot and made short work of the others. Bulkhead picked up the strange clump of crystals turning it trying to see more of what the ball was not wanting to break it.
"Hey Optimus we almost missed some they were trying to transfer something covered in energon crystals." Bulkhead spoke through his com link.
"Good work intercepting it bulkhead, get it to ratchet for analysis it could possibly  be important if the decepticons wanted it. Optimus out." The link ended so he requested a ground bridge back to base. Stepping through the ground bridge bulkhead handed the lump into ratchet's servors.
"Decepticon tired to get this out the back door. Optimus said it must be important and wants it analysed while they search the mines for anything else." Bulkhead reported.
"Seems like ordinary energon crystals but what in the name of primus is this." Ratchet said to himself before he began to scan the object finding the smallest of life signals.
"It's alive." Ratchet said in disbelief.
"What do you mean?" Bulkhead asked confused.
"The small object seems to have a life signal very small I need to put it through further testing as it could be the rebounding energy from the crystals, don't touch it." Ratchet said leaving to get the appropriate tools and equipment from the medbay. Just then Optimus, Arce and bumblebee returned.
"Get ratchet here Bumblebee has a bad mesh wound that needs seeing to." Optimus order and ratchet entered.
"What happened." Ratchet shouted running over as Optimus supported the scout leading him into the medbay and the object was forgotten about for the moment and was left unattended.
The ball began to wiggle between the crystals before becoming still once again.
Once everyone was seen to ratchet returned to the lump of crystals the metal ball would take hours to get out, he would need to carefully carve away each crystal to stop any damage to the ball. He could do it in the morning he was in need of a deep recharge so he left the mass in the medbay to recharge while the base was quiet for once. The lights were turned off and the doors locked.
During the night ball wiggled making small tapping noises against the crystals it was encased in. With one more knock to the crystal wall the metal ball cracked down the middle. And a small growl came from within.