40| Retrocognition*

Start from the beginning

   "He called you yesterday night?" I arched a brow at Maximus while digging my hands into the pockets of my coat as we walked through the dark woods.

   "He did, because apparently you're not updating him on what's happening with Sage so he's growing slightly suspicious," Maximus told me in a patronizing tone, making me scowl.

   "Did he say how long?"

   "No but I'm assuming it's been a month since you've called him up," Maximus said in reply, making me let out a frustrating groan.

   "That's because I was too busy with Sage. That was her mourning period," I told him, making him roll his eyes.

   "Well I don't care, and neither does Colton-ow you fucker!" Maximus yelped when I smacked his head with a tight frown. "I'm not showing your girlfriend any sympathy after what you did to mine," he snapped all of a sudden, referring to Rosalie. I retracted my hand, pressing my lips tightly as I felt tension fall over us again.

   "I did what I did for a reason," I murmured softly, gaze averting to my feet.

   "Yeah whatever," Maximus muttered under his breath, clearly wanting to change the subject back to Colton. "He kept warning me about killing me if he ever found out I was lying to him about you and Sage."

   "He did?" I arched a brow. "Well shit."

   "What do we do when she finds out? What the hell will you tell Colton when he comes, which is soon by the way," Maximus bombarded me, making me curse.

   "For fuck's sake, Maximus. I'll just tell him that she found out. He won't know about our relationship. When I tell him she found out, he'll be disappointed in me and forbid me from taking part in the rest of the mission, which is killing her. He'll put you in charge, and I'll stay out of the game. You will tell me everything that is going on so that I can figure out a way to protect Sage from all of that bullshit," I explained, making him listen attentively with pursed lips.

   "She won't let you protect her, you know that don't you?" Maximus muttered quietly, making me bite my lip and nod.

   "I know, but I'm going to try, somehow. I'll figure it out when it happens, alright?"

   "Whatever you say, little brother."

~-~

  S.E // The 7th Supreme

   "We can't track them."

  I let out a heavy sigh, rubbing my temples with the pads of my fingers before looking up at the pairs of eyes that all gazed at me expectantly.

   "It's probably because they're cloaked in some way," I responded to Rowena, chewing on my lower lip.

   "We can still break through it with enough power," Atticus suggested.

   "Where can we get power like that?" Frida questioned.

   "From Sage of course, we can channel her and maybe someone else who's strong in order to break through whatever is cloaking them," Atticus said in an obvious tone.

   "Atticus, we need something to connect us to The Saviors. Like their ring or anything. We can't just use a locator spell without something to give the spell for it to track The Saviors down. Have you forgotten everything you've learnt in this institution?" Esmeralda taunted her son, making him scowl nastily at her.

   "There's no need to mock me, mother," he snapped at her. "I was just suggesting an idea for our current problem."

   "Ah yes the problem Sage created-"