Debut (PBA)

I was called by coach and I quickly went to him. "Enjoy your first game, son. It is going to be a long way to go." He said. "Thanks, coach." I said in response. It is actually going to be a long way to go. I am a professional right now and I already made history by being the first player to be drafted out of high school. 

Rain Or Shine Dugout - Opening Game - RoS vs Blackwater

"Mav, you sit for today, this guy, he is having a game of his career." Coach Caloy Garcia said to Maverick Ahanmisi, then pointing to me. My mind suddenly runs faster than it should and I started thinking about things that I should not think about. "Franco, I have trust in you that you can bring back the spark to our game, and a championship or two." He said. "Okay guys, same plays from practice, what's important is that you play with heart." He added, then we hit the court.

"And now, the starting lineup, for your Rain or Shine Elasto Painters!" The public announcer said. "Wearing number twenty, a center, Raymond Almazan! A forward, wearing number thirty, Beau Belga! Wearing jersey number five, a forward, Gabe Norwood! And, wearing jersey number nine, a guard, Jericho Cruz! And finally, wearing number 24, for the first time ever, Franco Brown!" He said, while the crowd cheered. Wow. Being a starter in my first professional game? That is just plain unbelievable! I was new to the 12-minute system in professional games of basketball.

First Quarter

Tip-off, we win the tip. I received the ball from Beau. My first seconds of dribbling will stop because of a pass to Jericho. Jericho pulls up a three and makes it. My first play as a pro is an assist in which I am not even mad about. 3-0, 11:47 left. Belo then receives the ball from Banal and sails in for an easy layup. 3-2, 11:25 left. I dribble up the court and see Raymond open inside and I dished it to him and he makes the easy shot inside. 5-2, 11:01 left. Banal hits a three after that and ties the game. 5-5, 10:46 left. "You can't guard me, kid, better not try again." He said. I just smiled. I run to the arc and hoisted up a three and made it. "Well, look who's quiet now." I said to Banal, trying to get in his head. He just shook his head and smiled. 8-5, 10:23 left. Raphael Banal attempted another three, and did not fail. "Ha, shooter genes baby!" He said to me. I continued on dribbling. 8-8, 10:02 left. Pick and roll is set. Almazan comes over. I go to the right direction and he gets open. My pass got there just in time and he makes the shot. 10-8, 9:48 left. I stole the ball from Belo, and then ran fast for the easy layup. 12-8, 9:26 left. The pace really satisfies me right now. I can not believe that I am playing well. Then I was subbed out. "Nice, Brown." Coach said.

Second Quarter

The first quarter ended and we were leading by 2, 27-25. Before the inbound, Banal comes to me and whispered something. "Hey kid, why are you here? You are not even supposed to be here. You should just rest your weak body and then get some marshmallows, you know, cannibalism. You are a softy." He whispered. "I let my play do the talking, Raphael, I do not even know you that well, but I'm sorry for what I will do to your team." I was furious. Without warning I shot the long three and made it. 30-25, 11:54 left. Belo then misses the shot and I got the rebound. I ran and saw James Yap down there and dished it to him. He easily makes the shot. 32-25, 11:30 left. Banal hits a three. 32-28, 11:13 left. Scoreless two minutes and Belo hits a layup. 32-30, 9:09 left. I easily score a layup. 34-30, 8:53 left. I grabbed the board and then sprinted to the other side but they managed to stop the fast break. I started seizing up Banal. Double crossover, between the leg, behind the back, got him leaning, hesitation move, step back and he is down! I shoot the three pointer without difficulty. 37-30, 8:34 left. I was subbed out for the remainder of the quarter.