Father and Son Pt. 2

Start from the beginning

"Gotcha!"

"You did, but now it's my turn!" he laughed, grabbing the child and making a show of forming the perfect snowball. "I think someone needs their nose rubbed!"

"No!" the boy squealed in delight as they continued to play in the snow. Finally, out of breath and laughing hysterically the duo climbed into the large car and put on their seatbelts.

"I think we have to challenge Papa and your brothers to a snowball fight!" Simon declared and smiled as the bright hazel orbs sparkled with childish delight.

"We could build a snow fort and snow men!"

"Sure can and probably a snow horse too if it continues like this!"

"I can't wait to tell them!"

"Hey, maybe we should keep it a secret and launch a surprise attack," Simon suggested as he drove carefully out of the school car park. It was slow going as the drivers were careful and stayed within the speed limit or lower. By the time they reached the road leading towards the farmhouse most of the roads had been ploughed and salted. Simon kept glancing at his son, smiling as the child seemed to be filled with excitement at the mounting snow. He knew the meal in the paper bag beside him would be cold by the time they reached the house, but they could warm it in the microwave. His attention returned to the road as he watched a car approaching from the opposite direction. He knew whoever was driving was having problems as the small car seemed to skid across the road in front of him before coming to rest against a high drift. Simon stopped the car and looked at the child beside him before reaching for his seatbelt.

"Josh, stay put. I'm just going to check on the driver okay?"

"I...Dad, don't go. Okay?"

"Josh, I have to. Whoever was driving could be hurt. You just wait here and keep the doors closed. I won't be long."

"Okay Dad," the boy said as Simon opened the door and snow specks flew in.

"I'll be right back," the blond said, before closing the door and wading his way through the snow to the stalled car. He turned to look at the ten year old and smiled as Josh lifted his hand and waved at him.

Simon made his way to the stalled car and knocked on the driver's side window. His feet were cold and he wished he'd worn his boots instead of the trainers he now had on his feet. He rubbed his hands together as the window was slowly rolled down and he looked at the man behind the wheel.

"Are you all right?" Simon asked, knowing the driver could very well be in shock.

"I'm perfectly fine, Mr. Minter, now if you would be so kind as to take a look at your car we may be able end this small talk and get on with the business at hand," Marshall explained.

Simon turned as he heard the scream from the car and everything else faded in the wake of the threat to the child he'd grown to love. He could see Josh being held tightly against a broad chest and anger flared in his eyes as he made a move towards them, but was brought up short by the sound of a gun clicking behind him.

"That is not advisable, Mr. Minter. You see Greg could snap the boy's neck with a flick of the wrist. He would be dead before you reached him!"

"What the fuck do you want?" the angry blond bit out through clenched teeth.

"Well, we actually need some information the child has stored inside his head. Now, if you would be so kind as to put your hands behind your back we can get back into the warmth of my car. I am allergic to cold you know!"

"Let him go!" Simon spat.

"That is not possible right now, Mr. Minter. As I just told you he is the reason we stopped you!"