-Chapter 11 -

"What do my parents have to do with this?"

I started pacing. It was all just too much. First I could use magic, then I was going crazy and still able to use magic, then my parents had some part in what was going on.

"Magic like yours doesn't just happen, Curly. It's inherited."

I choked out a laugh. "Oh, so crazy ice magic that'll kill me doesn't just 'happen.' Good to know."

"It's not just ice magic, Clair," Nutcracker said. "You can do more once you learn. And it won't kill you."

"What if I don't want to learn? What if I don't want anything to do with this?" The fear I originally felt morphed into aggravation. I hadn't asked for this. I didn't want it. I just wanted my life to go back to normal.

A new thought dawned on me. "If I have this--this miralis, then what about Raoul? Does he--"

"We don't know," Nutcracker interrupted. "We assume not, but the only way we'll know for sure is when he wakes up."

Great. Now they don't even know if Raoul will come back right.

I breathed out slowly. I spun on my heel and started to walk away as fast as I could. I needed to go, to get away before I exploded.

Which could be taken literally.

"Wait, where are you going?" Nutcracker called after me. "You have to stay here!"

I faced him and Elora again and raised my eyebrows. "I'm exploring. Apparently, we're inside a castle that's got some type of magic to it and is run by snow fairies." I nodded in Elora's direction. "No offense."

She held up her hands. "None was taken. 'Snow fairy' is actually right, in this case."

"But you can't leave the castle!" Nutcracker sputtered. He waved his hands frantically in the air and hopped from one foot to the next.

As if that'll stop me.

"Which is why I'm staying indoors. Goodbye." I turned and ran before either person could say anything. I didn't want to talk. I didn't want to be around them, to hear them, to see them.

I just wanted to be alone.

Which, one would think, would be a difficult task to do when you're in a castle filled with people.

Obviously not.

I ran down the hall and grabbed a railing to stairs. I held onto it to brace myself as I turned onto the slick, crystal blue steps and almost headfirst into a Fiannu woman. The lady let out a small screech and pressed herself again the handrail.

Words of apology started to come out of my mouth, but I didn't finish them. I was already too far up the stairs for the woman to hear.

When I reached the top, it dawned on me that I had no idea where I was going. Getting lost didn't bother me, but losing my way back did. As much as I wanted away from everyone, I would want to have someone near me in the next hour or three.

Because I'd have to eat, but still.

I looked to my right and left. The hallway stretched out endlessly in both directions, the left side looking the same way my room downstairs did, and the right side not as... bright.

I turned to the right. The darker a place, fewer people, right?

As it turns out, I picked the creepy hallway. It was like the Fiannu had just completely forgotten to redo it, except for the blue orbs that floated near the ceiling, giving off light.