-Chapter 1-

"Long ago, there was such a thing as magic. Not magic one can feel when staring at a beautiful sight, or the magic that happens when two people meet each other. No--this magic was special. It could make the weak strong and the strong cowardly.

This magic existed inside the hearts of many. Only a few knew how to unlock it, and those few grew and taught others. It became a beautiful thing, with people using it each day. They could heal small wounds, summon forth objects from the other side of town, even make rain fall from the sky.

But, as always, there were those who feared it.

Misused it.

Those who misused the magic were declared rulers out of fear. The people who could not unlock their power became terrified of those who could. Magic users became outcasts, shoved away from friends and family. Brother turned against brother, father against son, mother against daughter.

Almost overnight, the magic users became extinct.

There were a few who hid, never to be seen again, until the need would arise.

And the need would arise."

"Clair!"

"Magic has not been seen in the five kingdoms since. Those who can use it wait impatiently in the shadows for the day they are needed. Then, they will come to the aid of their countrymen. They will disregard their hidden lives.

They will win."

"Clair, come on!"

Almost immediately, the world shattered. Words fells from pages, from minds, from existence.  

Well, crap. Thanks, Mom.

I glanced down at the papers sprawled out below me, then back up. My teeth found my lip for the millionth time that hour. I swear, I should've had a bloody pulp for a mouth.

I wonder if they'll notice if I stay.

Nah. Remember the food? You're going.

I grabbed the side of a piece of paper, careful not to touch the loopy words messily written on the page. While my mother wrote the story years before, the ink seemed to like to smudge at the slightest touch.

I gathered up the papers I'd strewn across my bed and put them in the neatest pile there could possibly be. Corners of folded over paper stuck out from all sides of the pile, making it more circular than rectangular.

I don't really want to move these.

I looked at the shelf they'd be put on. The top--where they belonged--was way over my head.

I glanced around her room for a place to put the story. Leaving on the bed was an option, but seeing as the first thing I normally did was to flop down on it, the book would be in danger of being squashed.

I sighed. Only one option left. "Dad? Can you help me?"

No answer. Muffled voices and faint thuds from downstairs met my ears.

I rolled my eyes and walked out of my room and down the hall. My bare feet lightly tapped against the cold, wooden floor. I reached the stairs quickly, but instead of going down them, I forced myself to go to the balcony.

My heart rate picked up the closer I got to the edge. My fists clenched and unclenched involuntarily. The ledge seemed to be taunting me, laughing at the fact that I was forcing myself to get to it. It wasn't that it was short-- the top came up to my collarbone, so I shouldn't have worried. The height shouldn't have bothered me.